Very confusing problem on cylinder, torque with friction? help

In summary, in this conversation, a constant horizontal force Fapp is applied to a uniform solid cylinder causing it to roll smoothly on a horizontal surface. The magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the cylinder is determined by combining equations 1 and 2, which involves the frictional force f. This is because the force of friction is necessary to maintain the rolling motion of the cylinder. The torque equation, on the other hand, shows Fapp and f in opposite directions because friction acts against the direction of motion, causing the cylinder to rotate in the same direction as Fapp.
nchin
In Figure, a constant horizontal force Fapp of magnitude 12 N is applied to a uniform solid cylinder by fishing line wrapped around the cylinder. The mass of the cylinder is 10 kg, its radius is 0.10 m, and the cylinder rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface.

(a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the cylinder?
(b) What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the cylinder about the center of mass?
(c) In unit-vector notation, what is the frictional force acting on the cylinder?

solution from my teacher:
forces: Fapp + f = ma (eq'n 1)
torque: (F-f)R = 1/2MR^(2)(a/R)--->Fapp - f = 1/2ma (eq'n 2)

To solve for (a) he simply added eq'n 1 + eq'n 2.

3 things i don't understand:

When I was doing (a), I had no idea that frictional force was involved because the questions says rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface. It doesn't mention friction until part (c). So why is friction used to solve part (a)?

Also, Why is friction force at the same direction as the Fapp? I thought friction force was always opposite the Fapp??

Since, friction and Fapp are moving in the same direction, why is it then, for the torque, Fapp - f? friction and Fapp are moving in the same so shouldn't torque be Fapp + f?

Attachments

• physicssss.PNG
    physicssss.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,069
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, Why is friction force at the same direction as the Fapp? I thought friction force was always opposite the Fapp??

Fapp tends to make the cylinder rotate about it's center of mass. Imagine there was an axle at the center of mass that lifted it off the ground slightly, which way would the cylinder rotate? Lower it onto the ground, which way would friction act?

1. What is a cylinder and how does it relate to torque and friction?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with two circular bases that are connected by a curved surface. In the context of torque and friction, a cylinder can be thought of as an object that can rotate around a central axis. Torque is the force that causes rotation, and friction is the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. How do you calculate torque in a cylinder with friction?

To calculate torque in a cylinder with friction, you need to know the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact. The formula is torque = force x distance x coefficient of friction. This calculation takes into account the effect of friction on the rotation of the cylinder.

3. What is the significance of friction in a cylinder's rotation?

Friction plays a crucial role in the rotation of a cylinder. It can either help or hinder the rotation, depending on the direction of the force and the coefficient of friction. If the force and the coefficient of friction are in the same direction, friction will increase the torque and help the rotation. However, if they are in opposite directions, friction will decrease the torque and hinder the rotation.

4. How does the shape of a cylinder affect its torque and friction?

The shape of a cylinder can significantly affect its torque and friction. A cylinder with a larger radius will have a higher torque because the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied is greater. Similarly, a cylinder with a smaller radius will have more friction because the contact area between the two surfaces is smaller, resulting in a higher coefficient of friction.

5. How can I solve a very confusing problem on cylinder, torque with friction?

Solving a confusing problem on cylinder, torque with friction requires a good understanding of the concepts involved. Start by identifying the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate formulas and plug in the values to solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and make sure to pay attention to the direction of forces and the sign conventions for torque and friction.