Very obscure/confusing question on quiz today

• Thread starter Frosteh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, the question asks how to evaluate d/dx(f(2x2-x)), when f(2x2-x) is true. Using basic derivative rules, it is found that 4x-1 is not the answer. However, when 1 is entered into 4x-1, (1/3) is clearly not the answer. I listed my answer as 12x-3, by setting 4x-1=(1/3), but I'm not sure if this is correct. There is ambiguity in how one uses language, necessary ambiguity I think, that one cannot avoid.
Frosteh

Homework Statement

This is exactly how this was written on the quiz today:

If f(1)=1 and f'(x)=(1/3) when x=1, find d/dx[f(2x2-x)].

Homework Equations

Basic derivative rules (i.e., power rule).

The Attempt at a Solution

The first statement simply determines that f(2x2-x) is true. When taking the derivative of f(2x2-x), you get 4x-1. However, f'(1)=(1/3). When 1 is entered into 4x-1, (1/3) is clearly not the answer. I listed my answer as 12x-3, by setting 4x-1=(1/3), but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Is my professor insane or is this just a trickily worded question?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you take the derivative of f(2x^2-x) with respect to x? (Don't worry about substituting the values f(1) and f'(1) at this stage.

This is a moderately tricky but well-phrased question. But I think perhaps you do not understand it?

Frosteh said:

Homework Statement

This is exactly how this was written on the quiz today:

If f(1)=1 and f'(x)=(1/3) when x=1, find d/dx[f(2x2-x)].

Homework Equations

Basic derivative rules (i.e., power rule).

The Attempt at a Solution

The first statement simply determines that f(2x2-x) is true.
No, not at all. A function value is not something that is true or false.
Frosteh said:
When taking the derivative of f(2x2-x), you get 4x-1.
No, that is incorrect, as pointed out by SteamKing in another post. You need to use the chain rule to evaluate d/dx( f(2x2 - x)).
Frosteh said:
However, f'(1)=(1/3). When 1 is entered into 4x-1, (1/3) is clearly not the answer. I listed my answer as 12x-3, by setting 4x-1=(1/3), but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Is my professor insane or is this just a trickily worded question?

Mark44 said:
You need to use the chain rule to evaluate d/dx( f(2x2 - x)).

Mark44 is of course correct, but enough is known in this question not to require doing that.

? How can you possibly evaluate d/dx(f(2x^2- x) without using the chain rule?

There is ambiguity in how one uses language, necessary ambiguity I think, that one cannot avoid. One must be charitable (see Quine, Indeterminacy of translation) when interpreting the words of others.

And on forums this is a bigger problem, of course. I hope what I intended is clear, that one has quite detailed knowledge of f(x).

1. What is the purpose of the "Very obscure/confusing question" on today's quiz?

The purpose of this question is to challenge your critical thinking skills and test your understanding of a complex concept. It is designed to evaluate how well you can apply the knowledge you have learned in a new and unfamiliar situation.

2. Why is this question considered "obscure" or "confusing"?

This question may be considered obscure because it covers a topic that is not commonly discussed or may not have been covered in depth in class. It may also be confusing because it requires a deep understanding of the subject matter and may have multiple layers or nuances to consider.

3. How can I approach answering this question?

Start by carefully reading the question and identifying any keywords or key phrases that may give you a clue about what is being asked. Then, break down the question into smaller parts and try to understand each component individually. Use any relevant information or examples from class to help you formulate your answer.

4. What if I don't know the answer to this question?

If you are struggling to answer this question, don't panic. Take a deep breath and try to apply your knowledge and critical thinking skills to the best of your ability. If you are still unsure, you can make an educated guess or move on to the next question and come back to this one later.

5. Will this question affect my overall grade if I cannot answer it correctly?

It is possible that this question may have a higher weight or point value compared to other questions on the quiz, but it is ultimately up to your instructor on how much each question is worth. If you are unable to answer this question correctly, it may impact your grade, but it is important to focus on doing your best on all the questions and not let one question discourage you.