1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple derivative problem don't know what I'm doing wrong!

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Case closed!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm reviewing for a test and I'm surprised of this. I've did countless problems harder than this.. for some reason every time I use the constant rule I get it wrong.. I want to understand.. WHY?!?

Determine the points at which the graph of the function has a horizontal line.

[tex]g(x)=\frac{8(x-2)}{e^x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]g(x)=\frac{8(x-2)}{e^x}[/tex]
    By the constant rule:
    [tex]=8 (\frac{x-2}{e^x}[/tex]
    Definition of quotient rule with constant
    [tex]c \frac{\frac{d}{dx} f(x) g(x) - \frac{d}{dx} g(x) f(x)}{[g(x)]^2}[/tex]
    [tex] 8 \frac{1(e^x)-e^x(x-2)}{e^{2x}}[/tex]
    Distribute [tex]e^x[/tex]
    [tex]=8 \frac{e^x - xe^x - 2e^x}{e^{2x}}[/tex]
    Divide by [tex]e^x[/tex]
    [tex]= 8 \frac{-x-2}{e^x}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{-8x-16}{e^x}[/tex]
    Horizontal line (0 slope) is at g'(-2)
    [tex] g(2)= \frac{-8(x-2}{e^x}[/tex]
    [tex] g(2) = \frac{-32}{e^-2}[/tex]
    [tex] g(2) = -32e^2[/tex]
    So g(x) has a horizontal tangent at [tex](-2,-32e^2)[/tex]

But the right answer is supposed to be horizontal line slope at g'(3) and horizontal tangent at [tex](3,\frac{8}{e^3})[/tex]

What am I doing wrong? Am I using the constant rule the wrong way? It makes me go crazy because I know I have all the basic derivative rules in check. Please help!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's OK to here.
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{e^x}{e^x}-\frac{xe^x}{e^x}-\frac{2e^x}{e^x}=1-x+2\,.[/itex]

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    Hey, I've edited a portion of my post it wasn't done yet. But I am a bit confused about what you just wrote. Don't you mean:
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{e^x}{e^x}-\frac{xe^x}{e^x}-\frac{2e^x}{e^x}=1-x-2\,.[/itex]

Edit: Either way.. thanks!! I will edit my post and make the correction accordingly.

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4
    I don't understand how you got +2. I re-ran my calculation as [tex]=1-x-2[/tex]. But it seems that I only get the right answer if I put [tex]=1-x+2[/tex]

Could you explain how its +2 and not -2? This is really testing my faith in my algebra foundation right now..

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5

Deveno

Science Advisor

[tex]-e^x(x - 2) = -e^x(x) -e^x(-2) = -xe^x + 2e^x[/tex]

7. Oct 29, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My earlier post was in error.

Distributing the ex gives a numerator of:

ex - xex + 2ex

Then dividing this by ex gives: 1 - x + 2 = 3 - x .

8. Oct 29, 2011 #7
    0o silly me.. It ended up being a distributive mistake all along 0__O. Hahaha.. I must need a break then.. I find that quite funny. Well thanks for pointing the mistake. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook