Very simple diff eq [concept help needed for exam]

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact solution to a first order differential equation, with the initial condition y(0)=6. The individual is panicking because they have an upcoming exam and can't remember the basics. They attempt to solve the problem using a second order method, but are reminded that it is a first order equation and the standard method of integrating factors is the easiest way to solve it. The conversation then shifts to discussing forced solutions and the importance of using first order methods for first order equations. The conversation ends with a brief explanation of how to find the particular solution for a polynomial forcing function.
Tom McCurdy

Homework Statement

Find the exact solution to this problem
y'=4x–y+9;y(0)=6

The Attempt at a Solution

I am panicing because I have an exam tomorrow and I can't remeber a lot of the basics for diff eq. I tried to solve this using 2nd order style...

first I made it

y'-y=4x+9

For natural solution i do
r+1=0
r=-1

natural solution = A*e^(-x)

How do I get the forced soution?

And how would I do it on a second order equation so like

y''+By'+y = some x terms

I know how to do natural solutions... its the forced that keeps getting me

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that that is a first order differential equation right? Do you know the standard method of integrating factors for finding the solution of a first order differential equation?

I am trying to avoid first order methods, I would like to be able to solve it using second order method... since r is a real root it would take the natural form A*e(-rx)

Really I guess I picked a bad example... I thought it would be easier than second order... I am trying to figure out how to solve for a second order "forced solution"

Why are you trying to avoid first order methods for a first order equation? It really is easiest to just find an integrating factor and solve the equation that way.

I know its the easiest way, but I don't have any first order problems on my upcomming exam, I just thought it would be easier to learn how to do forced solutions on a first order problem (which I don't even know if it is possilbe) I know how to do the integrating factor method.

If your forcing function is a polynomial, the particular solution will be a polynomial of the same degree. In your case
[tex]y_p = Ax + B[/tex]
Substitute [tex]y_p[/tex] and its derivative in the differential equation to obtain the parameters A and B.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is commonly used in science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on the type of equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the appropriate method.

3. What is the basic concept behind a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation involves only one independent variable and its derivatives. The goal is to find a function that satisfies the equation and any given initial conditions. This function is known as the solution to the differential equation.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are particularly useful for modeling and predicting the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

5. How can I prepare for a differential equations exam?

To prepare for a differential equations exam, it is important to review the fundamental concepts and techniques, practice solving problems, and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed. It is also helpful to work through past exams or practice tests to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.