1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple diff eq [concept help needed for exam]

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the exact solution to this problem

3. The attempt at a solution

I am panicing because I have an exam tomorrow and I can't remeber a lot of the basics for diff eq. I tried to solve this using 2nd order style...

first I made it

For natural solution i do

natural solution = A*e^(-x)

How do I get the forced soution?

And how would I do it on a second order equation so like

y''+By'+y = some x terms

I know how to do natural solutions... its the forced that keeps getting me
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2
    You do realize that that is a first order differential equation right? Do you know the standard method of integrating factors for finding the solution of a first order differential equation?
  4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    I am trying to avoid first order methods, I would like to be able to solve it using second order method... since r is a real root it would take the natural form A*e(-rx)

Really I guess I picked a bad example... I thought it would be easier than second order... I am trying to figure out how to solve for a second order "forced solution"
  5. Mar 22, 2007 #4
    Why are you trying to avoid first order methods for a first order equation? It really is easiest to just find an integrating factor and solve the equation that way.
  6. Mar 22, 2007 #5
    I know its the easiest way, but I don't have any first order problems on my upcomming exam, I just thought it would be easier to learn how to do forced solutions on a first order problem (which I don't even know if it is possilbe) I know how to do the integrating factor method.
  7. Mar 22, 2007 #6

If your forcing function is a polynomial, the particular solution will be a polynomial of the same degree. In your case
    [tex]y_p = Ax + B[/tex]
    Substitute [tex]y_p[/tex] and its derivative in the differential equation to obtain the parameters A and B.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?