1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very very noob calculation verification [BEDMAS]

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

95n89e.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    i calculated and got like

x'=3.291*104 ---->this does not match with answer key, but im sure its correct.
    could some one verify this pls

t'=-4.618*10-5---. this makes sense

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

It can't be correct, it doesn't have the right units.

What calculation did you do? Show your work...

4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    i did the exact thing as the solution, i think they converted the x'=32917.5m to x'=32.9km and did not indicate it...

5. Aug 9, 2010 #4
    x' should be less than x. t' should be greater than t. Also a negative time interval doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. Aug 9, 2010 #5
    -ve means it happend before no?

7. Aug 9, 2010 #6

diazona

Homework Helper

They're the same thing (except for rounding), it's not necessary to indicate anything for that conversion.

And a negative time interval could make sense, if it's the time difference from A to B and B happened before A.

Anyway, I still don't see your work. Unless the image you show is actually the work you did? I thought it was the given solution.

8. Aug 9, 2010 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

Aha: I just checked the calculations in the image you showed. I can't say whether the calculation is set up correctly, but there is definitely an error. When I plug
    [tex](1.155)\bigl[3.0\times 10^4\,\mathrm{m} - (0.5)(3.0\times 10^8\tfrac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}})(1.0\times 10^{-5}\,\mathrm{s})\bigr][/tex]
    into my calculator, I get [itex]32.9\,\mathrm{km}[/itex]. So the result shown in the image is off by a factor of 1000 - probably whoever did that calculation wrote the wrong units on the result.

9. Aug 10, 2010 #8
    its from a solution Manuel. im 100% sure its wrong off by a factor of 1000

10. Aug 10, 2010 #9
    as i think is said it the solution give nis the same as my work that how i did it then when i looked at solution it was the same but off by 1 factor of 1000..so i was confused so i asked thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook