1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very very very short question circuit analysis please?

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    I am solving a VERY complicated exercise and I have this part that I dont understand.The image posted is a very big simplification of a part of the exercise.I have to find the potential between A and B.My question : Are the 15 Volt and the 13 Volt in the picture involved in the calculation?
    I know I have to calculate the potential using Kirch.law btw.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Do the lines represent wires only? If so, the 13V and 15V sources have no effect on the KVL sum from A to B.

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    The lines represent wires and they have resistances in it.

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not if one end is open circuit. Are they really open circuit?

6. Apr 12, 2013 #5

gneill

That's a confusing statement. Are the lines wires, with the resistances represented by the circled potential changes? Or are there hidden potential changes in the lines along the path from A to B?

7. Apr 12, 2013 #6
    Sorry.13 V is also resistance,15 V is only wire.

8. Apr 12, 2013 #7

gneill

How can a wire be 15 V? Do you mean it is a wire that is at a 15 V potential, or leads to a 15 V source? Something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57802&stc=1&d=1365775770.gif

Attached Files:

9. Apr 12, 2013 #8
    Wire that has a 15 V potential.The image is very right!

10. Apr 12, 2013 #9

gneill

Okay. Then consider that a single node can only be at a single potential; there is no potential difference between any points connected by a contiguous wire. In this case, the blue wires in the figure represent one node. The only potential changes that occur along the path from A to B are those due to the 12 V and 14 V drops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted