Question about circuits with transistors (current, voltage)

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems that involve determining the current and voltage in a circuit with a transistor. In problem 1, the transistor is assumed to be fully on and carrying current, and the current through R1 is determined to be 8mA. In problem 2, the transistor is off and the output voltage is calculated using the voltage divider expression, resulting in an output voltage of 5.005 volts.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

1. In Figure A-1 of Experiment 18, assume that Vdc = 8Volts, R1 = 1kOhms, R3 = 7kOhms and there is no R2 resistor. Determine the current in R1 when the transistor is fully on and carrying current. Express your answer in mA.
2. In the circuit of Figure A-1, Experiment 18, assume that Vdc = 19Volts, R1 = 4kOhms, R2 = 26kOhms and R3 = 5kOhms. When the transistor is off, determine the output voltage (also the collector voltage) in Volts.
FplNRXj.png

The figure in question is here:

Homework Equations

When the transistor of a circuit is off, current is 0 amps.
When the transistor is on, current through R1 and R2 is the same (not sure but I think this is true since the circuit would short circuit).

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I assume that the current through R1 would just be the Voltage/1000 = 8mA.
For the second one, I think the output voltage would just be calculated as Vin*(10^6+10^3)/(10^6) = 5.005 volts. I think that answer would make sense since the transistor is off, so the circuit wouldn't short circuit and we could take R2 into account.

Attachments

• FplNRXj.png
    FplNRXj.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Mohamed Abdul said:
current through R1 and R2 is the same
didnt you say there was no R2. That would make the resistance inf

Also when the transistor is off, the current will be 0.
When the tranistor is on, you need to show more detail.

donpacino said:
didnt you say there was no R2. That would make the resistance inf

Also when the transistor is off, the current will be 0.
When the tranistor is on, you need to show more detail.
What would be the process to find the current in that scenario, then. I assumed that since it was in the resistor before the transistor I could just use Vc/R1.

so in problem 1, R2=inf.
You should be able to solve for Ib using Vbe, Vin, and R3.
Then, Ie=Ib*(beta+1)
You know Ib+Ic=Ie
solve for Ic

for problem 2 its actually a bit easier

Mohamed Abdul said:
For the second one, I think the output voltage would just be calculated as Vin*(10^6+10^3)/(10^6) = 5.005 volts. I think that answer would make sense since the transistor is off, so the circuit wouldn't short circuit and we could take R2 into account.
where do you get 10^6? look at what R2 is given again. Then use the correct voltage divider expression.

1. What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It consists of three layers of a semiconductor material, with each layer having a different type of doping. The flow of current between the two outer layers can be controlled by the voltage applied to the middle layer, allowing the transistor to act as a switch or an amplifier.

2. What is the difference between current and voltage in a circuit with transistors?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, while voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In a circuit with transistors, the current is controlled by the voltage applied to the transistor, allowing for the amplification or switching of the current.

3. How does a transistor affect the current and voltage in a circuit?

A transistor can amplify or switch the current in a circuit by controlling the flow of current between two points. It can also affect the voltage by changing the resistance in the circuit. When a transistor is in its "on" state, it has a low resistance and allows for a larger flow of current. When it is in its "off" state, it has a high resistance and restricts the flow of current.

4. What are the different types of transistors and their uses?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs are commonly used for amplification and switching in electronic circuits, while FETs are often used in digital logic circuits. There are also different variations within each type, such as NPN and PNP BJTs or MOSFET and JFET FETs, each with their own specific uses.

5. How can transistors be used to control the flow of current in a circuit?

Transistors can be used to control current flow in a circuit by acting as a switch. By applying a small voltage to the middle layer of the transistor, the flow of current between the outer layers can be controlled. This allows for precise control of the amount of current flowing through the circuit. Transistors can also be used as amplifiers by controlling the amount of current flowing through the device.