Vestibule of mouth:-where exactly is it ?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary: Anything outside the red circle and inside the teeth is oral cavity. Anything outside the blue circle and inside the gums is buccal cavity.Anything outside the green circle and inside the cheeks is larynx.
gracy
vestibule is a part of the mouth bounded anteriorly and laterally by the lips and the cheeks, posteriorly and medially by the teeth and/or gums, and above and below by the reflections of the mucosa from the lips and cheeks to the gums.I can't find it ?
slide_7.jpg

this picture does not really justify the location described above !

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
vestibule.jpg

gracy said:
this picture does not really justify the location described above !
vestibule.jpg

Close your lips - puff up your cheeks with air. All of the parts that now stick out - your cheeks and lips - do so because you enlarged the vestibule. All of the stuff from teeth inwards and from teeth backwards don't take more space == oral cavity.

Likes gracy and Bystander
jim mcnamara said:
Close your lips - puff up your cheeks with air. All of the parts that now stick out - your cheeks and lips - do so because you enlarged the vestibule. All of the stuff from teeth inwards and from teeth backwards don't take more space == oral cavity.
I am still not getting.

I think vestibule is little space between lips and teeth .

Yes.

Likes gracy
Why can't i start conversation with @ jim mcnamara, ?

And your cheeks - anything outside of your: gums + teeth. This outside area fills with air when you do the puff trick above. You gums, teeth, are tongue are all insiders and not part of the vestibule -

If it helps - in English, the word vestibule is a Victorian word. In older houses. when you first enter via the front door, you go inside to a tiny entry room. People hang coats in there, and often stuff it full of potted plants. That is a vestibule. So tiny entrance volumes that lead to something else bigger inside are called vestibules.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Why can't i start conversation with @ jim mcnamara, ?
can you answer this?

I have no idea. I

we can ask @Bystander ,he knows how to resolve this!

If i have understood it correctly
ves.png

anything outside the yellow circle and inside the lips is vestibule.

1. What is the vestibule of the mouth?

The vestibule of the mouth is the space between the cheeks, lips, and teeth. It is also known as the oral vestibule.

2. Where is the vestibule of the mouth located?

The vestibule of the mouth is located between the inner surface of the lips and cheeks, and the outer surface of the teeth and gums.

3. What is the function of the vestibule of the mouth?

The vestibule of the mouth serves as a passageway for food and saliva to enter the mouth, and for air to exit during breathing. It also helps to keep food and liquids in the mouth while chewing and swallowing.

4. How does the vestibule of the mouth differ from the oral cavity?

The vestibule of the mouth is the space between the cheeks, lips, and teeth, while the oral cavity is the entire space within the mouth, including the tongue and the roof of the mouth.

5. Can the vestibule of the mouth be affected by oral health issues?

Yes, the vestibule of the mouth can be affected by oral health issues such as inflammation, infections, and lesions. Proper oral hygiene and regular dental check-ups can help prevent these issues.