Vibrating String kinetic energy

In summary, the kinetic energy of a segment of a vibrating string is given by
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

The kinetic energy of a segment of length [tex] \Delta x [/tex] and mass [tex] \Delta m [/tex] of a vibrating string is given by [tex] \Delta K = \frac{1}{2} \Delta m (\frac{\partial y}{\partial t})^2 = \frac{1}{2} \mu (\frac{\partial y}{\partial t})^2 \Delta x [/tex], where [tex] \mu = \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta x} [/tex].

a. find the total kinetic energy of the nth mode of vibration of a string of length L fixed at both ends.

b. Give the maximum kinetic energy of the string.

c. What is the wave function when the kinetic energy has its maximum value?

d. Show that the maximum kinetic energy in the nth mode is proportional to [tex] n^2 A_n^2 [/tex].

Homework Equations

Pretty much given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried numerous times to get a start on this problem but I can't seem to figure it out. Neither can my older brother or other peers :frown:.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I can't answer them all, but here's what I can answer:

We might as well work with differentials
[tex]\frac{dK}{dx}=\frac{1}{2} \mu (\frac{\partial y}{\partial t})^2[/tex]

Ok, the next bit is hand-wavy. For a vibrating string

[tex]y(x,t) = Asin(\omega_{0} (t - x/\nu ))[/tex]

where omega is the angular frequency- you may have seen it in some slightly different but equivalent form.

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = A\omega cos(\omega_{0} (t - x/\nu )) [/tex]

At t=0:
[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = A\omega cos(\omega_{0} x/\nu ) [/tex]

Then:
[tex]\frac{dK}{dx}=\frac{1}{2} \mu (\frac{\partial y}{\partial t})^2 = \frac{1}{2} \mu (A \omega_{0} )^2 cos^2(\omega_{0} x/\nu )[/tex]

So, in one wavelength:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\lambda } \frac{1}{2} (A\omega_{0} )^2 cos^2(\omega_{0} x/\nu )dx [/tex]

You will see that the integral is equal to:

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \lamda \mu (A\omega_{0} )^2 [/tex]

[tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] is the angular frequency of the first normal mode, and the frequency of the nth normal mode is [tex]n\omega_{0}[/tex]. Some of the results follow directly from that.

As a matter of interest- what book are you using?

Last edited:
qspeechc said:
As a matter of interest- what book are you using?

Physics for Scientists and Engineers vol.5 by Paul A. Tipler

I think I understand now. Thanks for the help.

? What is the smallest possible 'unit' that can be in all of this.

What is a vibrating string?

A vibrating string refers to a string that is fixed at both ends and can vibrate when plucked or strummed. It is commonly found in musical instruments such as guitars, violins, and pianos.

How does a vibrating string produce sound?

When a vibrating string is plucked or strummed, it creates a disturbance in the surrounding air molecules, causing them to vibrate. This vibration is then transmitted as sound waves, which we perceive as sound.

What is kinetic energy in relation to a vibrating string?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a vibrating string, the kinetic energy is the energy possessed by the string as it vibrates back and forth.

How is the kinetic energy of a vibrating string calculated?

The kinetic energy of a vibrating string can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the string and v is the velocity of the string as it vibrates. This formula assumes that the string is vibrating with simple harmonic motion.

Can the kinetic energy of a vibrating string be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a vibrating string can be changed by altering its mass or the velocity at which it vibrates. The more mass the string has or the faster it vibrates, the higher its kinetic energy will be.