Video lectures for differential equations 2

Also, I prefer the series that includes the linear algebra and the one that does not.In summary, the conversation is about a student who is having trouble with understanding complex eigenvalues and using series and linear algebra to find solutions for systems in differential equations. They are looking for a video lecture series that parallels their book and recommendations are given for other textbooks and resources, such as MathIsPower4u.com and MIT OCW.
rmiller70015
I took differential equation 2 last semester and the book we used wasn't so great at explaining a lot of things. I was wondering if anyone knew of a video lecture series that parallels my book (Differential Equations 4th Ed. by Blanchard, Devaney, and Hall). Specifically I am having trouble with how to use series and linear algebra to find solutions for systems with complex eigenvalues and how those solutions behave graphically. Also, there is a bit about Frobenius' Method and a power series method for finding non-constant coefficients that I am having issues with.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
I took differential equation 2 last semester and the book we used wasn't so great at explaining a lot of things. I was wondering if anyone knew of a video lecture series that parallels my book (Differential Equations 4th Ed. by Blanchard, Devaney, and Hall). Specifically I am having trouble with how to use series and linear algebra to find solutions for systems with complex eigenvalues and how those solutions behave graphically. Also, there is a bit about Frobenius' Method and a power series method for finding non-constant coefficients that I am having issues with.
I'm not aware of any video lectures, so can't recommend anything in this line. Also, I'm older, so when I was taking classes like these, the textbook was the main source, and there were no videos whatsoever. In any case, I would recommend getting another textbook for DE rather than searching (possibly in vain) for somebody's video.

My first reaction to your post was thinking that maybe the book wasn't so bad, but you weren't able to extract information from it. After looking at a number of reviews on Amazon, it seems that quite a few of the people reviewing the book aren't happy with it, in part because it tends to read more like a novel than a mathematics textbook, and with its conversational style at the expense of showing equations.

There are a lot of textbooks out there that follow a more traditional presentation. One that comes to mind is by Boyce and Di Prima. I have several DE textbooks from when I taught these courses, but it's been almost 20 years since I last taught such a class, and all of my books date from back then.

How about this playlist from MathIsPower4u.com?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28928849/Webpages/DifferentialEquationsVideoLibraryTable.htm

jedishrfu said:
How about this playlist from MathIsPower4u.com?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28928849/Webpages/DifferentialEquationsVideoLibraryTable.htm

Holy balls, thank you so much.

Have you heard of MIT OCW? it's pretty cool, complete courses of basic(calculus, linear algebra) and more advance things on video lectures, the 18.03 course is on Differential Equations, and exists a playlist on Youtube named 18.03SC where after the real lectures the next video is on doing exercises from the section of the past lecture, and i remember that one of this videos is on doing EXACTLY Eingenvalue problems for Real and Complex System of ODEs, you should look for it ;)

Andreol263 said:
Have you heard of MIT OCW? it's pretty cool, complete courses of basic(calculus, linear algebra) and more advance things on video lectures, the 18.03 course is on Differential Equations, and exists a playlist on Youtube named 18.03SC where after the real lectures the next video is on doing exercises from the section of the past lecture, and i remember that one of this videos is on doing EXACTLY Eingenvalue problems for Real and Complex System of ODEs, you should look for it ;)

Yes, but they don't post the recitations so there is a lot of missing information.

1. What is the purpose of video lectures for differential equations 2?

The purpose of video lectures for differential equations 2 is to provide a visual and auditory medium for learning and understanding complex concepts related to differential equations. These lectures can serve as a supplement or alternative to traditional classroom lectures and can be accessed at any time for review and self-study.

2. Who can benefit from watching video lectures for differential equations 2?

These video lectures can benefit anyone who is interested in learning about differential equations, including students, teachers, and professionals in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are especially helpful for those who prefer a more visual and interactive approach to learning.

3. How are the video lectures for differential equations 2 structured?

The video lectures are typically organized into different modules or sections, each covering a specific topic related to differential equations 2. Within each module, there may be multiple videos that break down the concept into smaller, more manageable segments. There may also be accompanying lecture notes and practice problems for further understanding and application.

4. Can I interact with the instructor during the video lectures for differential equations 2?

Most video lectures for differential equations 2 are pre-recorded and do not offer real-time interaction with the instructor. However, there may be opportunities to ask questions or participate in online discussions through forums or chat features. Additionally, some video lectures may offer live Q&A sessions with the instructor.

5. Are there any prerequisites for watching the video lectures for differential equations 2?

It is recommended to have a strong understanding of calculus and basic differential equations before watching these lectures. Some knowledge of linear algebra may also be helpful. However, some video lectures may provide a brief review of necessary concepts before delving into more advanced material.