Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video of guitar strings from inside guitar

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Several of my students have pointed me to this video: http://bit.ly/1N1IGR8 Apparently the guy put his cell phone inside his guitar and took a video. My initial reaction was that it looked fake, because the time scale of the movement of his thumb seemed mismatched to the time scale of the motion of the wave impulses on the string, but now I'm thinking that this may just be a stroboscopic effect. Would anyone care to put together a more detailed interpretation of what's going on? I wonder what the frame rate of cell phone video is. Some of the comments on the video may be relevant.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not fake, but indeed an effect of how the camera captures the image. I came across this a year ago or so when I was looking for high speed camera videos of guitarr strings to show my students. Needless to say, I did not select this one as it is a camera effect and not related to the physics of the string. It would be easy to fool someone who did not know this though.

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you find one you liked better?

5. Dec 1, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, that one does not count as finding since it is definitely not a high speed camera, but yes. I will see if I can dig it out.

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems I used a video from Trevor Cox at Salford University. The first few seconds of this clip is the closest I can find at the moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook