Video of motorized top - is the explanation correct?

In summary, the presenter's explanation of the rotational variant of a swing set is deemed correct, although it may be difficult to analyze due to its complexity and use of natural language instead of math. The concept is not a perpetual motion machine and may be difficult to fully understand without seeing it in person.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is the presenter's explanation correct in all respects?

And has anyone seen one of these "in person"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Is the presenter's explanation correct in all respects?
Too vague to tell. But while it is tilted, the contact point on the rounded bottom is off-axis, so the friction there can create a torque that adds angular momentum.

When I saw the word "forever" in the title, I thought it was another perpetual motion machine. Not so; he didn't mean forever. Nevertheless, it is too complicated to analyze simply.

When we do scientific experiments or blackboard proofs of principle, things are made as simple as possible. In the real world, devices can be arbitrarily complex and difficult to analyze. Compound that with a natural language explanation instead of math, and it becomes even more difficult. Now the OP is asking for a counter natural language explanation. No thanks.

Haven't seen one in RL, but I'm guessing this is the rotational variant of a swing set. Explanation seems legit for as far as you can judge it, because I agree it is a bit vague.

What is a motorized top?

A motorized top is a toy or device that spins or rotates using a motor or other source of power.

How does a motorized top work?

A motorized top works by using a motor or other source of power to spin or rotate the top, creating a spinning motion. This motion can be controlled or adjusted by the user.

What is the purpose of a motorized top?

The purpose of a motorized top is primarily for entertainment or as a toy, but it can also be used for educational purposes to demonstrate concepts such as rotation and motion.

What is the explanation for how a motorized top operates?

The explanation for how a motorized top operates is that the motor or other power source provides energy to the top, causing it to spin. The spinning motion creates centrifugal force, which keeps the top upright and rotating.

Are there different types of motorized tops?

Yes, there are different types of motorized tops, including traditional spinning tops, gyroscopes, and electric tops that use electricity to power the motor. There are also variations in size, shape, and design of motorized tops.