Video of motorized top - is the explanation correct?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explanation Video
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
844
Is the presenter's explanation correct in all respects?

And has anyone seen one of these "in person"?

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Is the presenter's explanation correct in all respects?
Too vague to tell. But while it is tilted, the contact point on the rounded bottom is off-axis, so the friction there can create a torque that adds angular momentum.
 
When I saw the word "forever" in the title, I thought it was another perpetual motion machine. Not so; he didn't mean forever. Nevertheless, it is too complicated to analyze simply.

When we do scientific experiments or blackboard proofs of principle, things are made as simple as possible. In the real world, devices can be arbitrarily complex and difficult to analyze. Compound that with a natural language explanation instead of math, and it becomes even more difficult. Now the OP is asking for a counter natural language explanation. No thanks.
 
Haven't seen one in RL, but I'm guessing this is the rotational variant of a swing set. Explanation seems legit for as far as you can judge it, because I agree it is a bit vague.