Views of Congress, tea party reach new low in poll

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, the conversation discusses the negative public perception of the Tea Party and Congress, with Congress receiving record low approval ratings. The discussion also touches on the potential consequences of the S&P's decision to downgrade the US's credit rating, with one person claiming it may be the "Republican mass suicide" they have predicted. The conversation also covers the role of the Tea Party in the debt ceiling debate and the belief that their inflexible stance on taxes is causing harm. The conversation also addresses the failures of deregulation and the potential consequences if investors find an alternative to US debt. Overall, the conversation highlights the dysfunction and extreme ideologies present in US politics.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
this may finally be the Republican mass suicide that I have predicted for some time now. Conservative columnist David Brooks commented on this in his July 4th column:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/opinion/05brooks.html?_r=1

Close enough

Congress, as usual, fared the worst. The legislative branch almost never gets high marks from the public, but never before has it earned this level of disapproval. Eighty-two percent in the poll said they disapprove of how members of Congress are doing their jobs--the highest such rate since 1977, when the poll was first taken.

Just wait until this S&P decision, and the stated reasons for it, have time to sink in. Thankfully Moodys didn't follow suit.

Last edited:
I guess congratulations are in order - to the media - for doing their best to spin the (practical) bankruptcy of the US into a campaign positive for President Obama?

Ivan Seeking said:
Close enough

But you've been claiming everything is going to be the "republican mass suicide" or "end of conservatism" for years. Why is this any different?

S&P and the "Tea Party" are my new heroes. finally, someone is putting the brakes on these drunken fools in DC.

Proton Soup said:
S&P and the "Tea Party" are my new heroes. finally, someone is putting the brakes on these drunken fools in DC.
S&P and the other rating agencies are the snake-oil salesmen that highly-graded derivatives backed by sub-prime mortgages. They have their fingerprints all over the real-estate crash. So you trust them now?

The Tea Party took the attitude that it was OK to default on our debt as long as they got their way. TP and Grover Norquist are scaring normally rational Republicans into lock-step with right-wing ideology, to the detriment of discussion and compromise in DC. This is not a good time.

Pengwuino said:
But you've been claiming everything is going to be the "republican mass suicide" or "end of conservatism" for years. Why is this any different?

I never said anything about the end of conservatism. I've been saying that my old party - the Republican party - has been taken over by a fringe element in American politics - manifest primarily as the so-called tea party -and now S&P agrees. They put the blame directly on the link between the debt ceiling and the budget. They also blame the inflexible position that taxes cannot be raised.

In short, what I have been saying for years has come true - the extreme right is driving the country over a cliff while waiving the flag all the way down. This is a problem that goes above and beyond the debt. It lies at the heart of the US political process, and that's what S&P is really worried about.

What I have said about conservatism is that deregulation nearly destroyed the global economy. There is nothing in a free market that prevents "too big to fail". So while free markets may work in theory, we can't afford to live with the market corrections - we can't afford to allow the global banking system to collapse for a decade or two; we can't afford to allow Fannie and Freddie, or AIG to fail. So the pure ideology of free markets is dead.

It is also a fallacy that conservatives never want to increase taxes. While that may be true in the abstract, it isn't practical.

Last edited:
turbo said:
S&P and the other rating agencies are the snake-oil salesmen that highly-graded derivatives backed by sub-prime mortgages. They have their fingerprints all over the real-estate crash. So you trust them now?

The Tea Party took the attitude that it was OK to default on our debt as long as they got their way. TP and Grover Norquist are scaring normally rational Republicans into lock-step with right-wing ideology, to the detriment of discussion and compromise in DC. This is not a good time.

You do realize that if investors find a comparable alternative to US debt - and we can no longer borrow $.43 of every $1.00 spent - the US will not only default - it will more than likely be deemed bankrupt?

The TEA Party wants a balanced budget - oh how radical?

Ivan Seeking said:
I never said anything about the end of conservatism. I've been saying that my old party - the Republican party - has been taken over by a fringe element in American politics - manifest primarily as the so-called tea party -and now S&P agrees. They put the blame directly on the link between the debt ceiling and the budget. They also blame the inflexible position that taxes cannot be raised.

In short, what I have been saying for years has come true - the extreme right is driving the country over a cliff while waiving the flag all the way down. This is a problem that goes above and beyond the debt. It lies at the heart of the US political process, and that's what S&P is really worried about.

What I have said about conservatism is that deregulation nearly destroyed the global economy. There is nothing in a free market that prevents "too big to fail". So while free markets may work in theory, we can't afford to live with the market corrections - we can't afford to allow the global banking system to collapse for a decade or two; we can't afford to allow Fannie and Freddie, or AIG to fail. So the pure ideology of free markets is dead.

It is also a fallacy that conservatives never want to increase taxes. While that may be true in the abstract, it isn't practical.

By some estimates the unfunded liabilities of our country exceed $100TRILLION and growing -the current debt deal proposes to cut 2% of this amount - not addressing the total debt is more like flying the economy into the side of the cliff - not driving over it.

turbo said:

actually, i don't trust any of the guys with all their fingerprints on this. that includes most of banking/wall street and most of congress.

Tea Party took the attitude that we can't just go on borrowing forever. they asked for a balanced budget amendment. why is that too much to ask for? do you really trust the bankers that we can just keep on borrowing and spending our way out of this mess? you really think we can go on nearly doubling our debt every decade or so and not end up like greece with people rioting in the streets and throwing molotov cocktails at the police? greece is probably at the point where it would be better for them to default, forget about the EU for a while, and just deal with the consequences. iceland was actually threatened with starvation if they reneged on bailing out the private bank that failed there. but once they did, their financial rating actually went up.

WhoWee said:
The TEA Party wants a balanced budget - oh how radical?
A balanced budget would be a thing of joy. Insisting on driving our government into default to achieve that is insanity. We need adults in DC (both parties) to man up and start carving up their parties' sacred cows to cut expenditures AND cut tax-breaks and actually raise taxes. You can balance a budget with compromise and negotiation. Hostage-taking by radicals won't work.

I think that the markets fear this, and are signaling their fear. Wall Street traders aren't in awe of the rating agencies.

turbo said:
A balanced budget would be a thing of joy. Insisting on driving our government into default to achieve that is insanity. We need adults in DC (both parties) to man up and start carving up their parties' sacred cows to cut expenditures AND cut tax-breaks and actually raise taxes. You can balance a budget with compromise and negotiation. Hostage-taking by radicals won't work.

I think that the markets fear this, and are signaling their fear. Wall Street traders aren't in awe of the rating agencies.

You are for the balanced budget - but against the TEA Party for trying to push for the legislation?

You do realize TEA Party votes were not required to pass the debt deal? Considering your call for adult behavior - this whole "hostage-taking" talking point is starting to sound childish - IMO.

turbo said:

Here's the problem with your argument:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/text-of-sps-downgrade-of-us-ratings-outlook-2011-04-18

The President and Congress have known since April they needed to take action - or else.

This report cites Ryans plan - Harry Reid and the Senate brushed it aside. The House passed the cut and cap Bill - Harry Reid tabled it. The House scrambled under pressure to bring another Bill and Harry Reid tabled it. THEN - at the last minute Harry Reid put forth a plan of his own - now be honest as to who held the country hostage - the House Republicans that churned out multiple pieces of legislation or Harry Reid Democrat leader of the Senate?

OK, the Democrats caused the whole crisis! How could I have been so foolish?

turbo said:
OK, the Democrats caused the whole crisis! How could I have been so foolish?

I don't believe the Democrats caused the whole crisis either turbo - but when the rhetoric turns to calling the TEA Party astro-turf, hostage takers and tea terrorists - my first instinct is to push back and defend them because they're willing to stand up and try to find solutions. I think Ryan's plan was absolutely idiotic in it's timing - and I wasn't very enthusiastic about it's content - but I give him credit for the effort. I'm angry at Harry Reid and the President in this crisis as they seemed quite content to sit back and criticize - and the media supported them. Accordingly, I gave the credit to the media earlier in this thread.

The U.S. wasn't facing any default over not raising the debt ceiling, as it doesn't take on debt to service the debt. And both parties have their fringe movements. You look at the pull the far-Left has on the Democratic party and it's almost impossible for that party to act in a bipartisan fashion. The way in which the Democratic party right now refuses to even talk about ways to deal with the debt and deficit I think exemplifies this.

The Tea Party is a reaction to the very obvious fact that government spending is literally out-of-control and the country is headed over an economic cliff if something isn't done and yet the current government refuses to even discuss the issue in any serious detail.

I would say that being against tax increases isn't necessarilly a sacred cow for the Tea Party types so much as it is just a fact that almost every time the government increases taxes under the promise to make spending cuts alongside the increases, the spending cuts never take place. As has been pointed out on this forum, Ronald Reagan signed a tax increase in which spending cuts were promised, and the opposite happened. George H. W. Bush was promised spending cuts by Congress if he signed a tax increase and the opposite happened. The Republicans cut taxes under the belief it would increase revenues in the early 2000s, and then what did they do? Spent like drunken sailors. If the Republicans agreed to a VAT tax being implemented to bring in lots more revenue, you could probably be guaranteed that zero spending cuts would occur and spending might even increase moreso.

I do think a combination of spending cuts or at least spending controls and some tax increases are what is necessary, but I don't think that combination is politically realistic. It has been done, but rarely.

WhoWee said:
I don't believe the Democrats caused the whole crisis either turbo - but when the rhetoric turns to calling the TEA Party astro-turf, hostage takers and tea terrorists - my first instinct is to push back and defend them because they're willing to stand up and try to find solutions...

Solutions? What kind of solutions?

They did not want to raise the debt ceiling at all, remember? You call that a solution? The cuts they proposed on this very fragile economy would have led the US right into a depression. They obstructed the whole political process, made Washington dysfunctional, completely ignored and disregarded the opinions of all the other elected representatives and thus did not care for the will of the majority of the american people.

With a deficit at 14 billions there is total agreement among the parties that there is a problem. There is no need for a radical group that offers only non-solutions to this problem and makes everything only a lot, lot worse.

That the deficit situation got that far is due to the policies of the years 2000-2008. That the deficit keeps getting worse, is that the US had in 2008 the worst economic crisis since 1929 and its consequences are still felt and the government has very little options now to act due to the deficit that was handed to them and an oppostion that obstructs everything that the government does to improve the economic situation.

The Republicans gave Obama an economy in deep crisis and a government in deep debt, and they complain now to him, why haven't you fixed it all already?

What the US needs besides cutting government spending in the medium , is first and foremost economic growth and a tax code that allows the massive private capital gains to participate in paying the costs. Just as Clinton did it.

Lapidus said:
They did not want to raise the debt ceiling at all, remember? You call that a solution? The cuts they proposed on this very fragile economy would have led the US right into a depression. They obstructed the whole political process, made Washington dysfunctional, completely ignored and disregarded the opinions of all the other elected representatives and thus did not care for the will of the majority of the american people.
Washington was dysfunctional well before the Tea Party existed. They certainly did not cause the current situation. They didn't help it either.

The unwillingness to compromise is problematic. Everyone has to compromise, because each party (group, not restricted to the two major parties) to the process is not going to get what they want.

The Tea Party did take a position, and ostensibly, that position reflects the interests of the majority of voters from their district, or at least the voters who bothered to show up an vote. On the other hand, it's not clear to me how many of the Tea Party Caucus indicated during the last national election that they supported/adopted the Tea Party positions.

Nevertheless, there are apparently 56 members of congress in the Tea Party - as compared to 435. So the Tea Party alone did not stop the process - even if they took an immovable position.

Ref(unverified): http://www.boogai.net/headlines/112th-congress-house-tea-party-caucus-members/ [Broken]
With a deficit at 14 billions there is total agreement among the parties that there is a problem. There is no need for a radical group that offers only non-solutions to this problem and makes everything only a lot, lot worse.

. . . .
There were problems well before the nation incurred a $14+ trillion dollar debt. Chronic deficit spending should not have been allowed to the extent that it has. The time to deal with it was 20+ years ago when the accumulated debt was not so great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lapidus said:
Solutions? What kind of solutions?

That the deficit situation got that far is due to the policies of the years 2000-2008. That the deficit keeps getting worse, is that the US had in 2008 the worst economic crisis since 1929 and its consequences are still felt and the government has very little options now to act due to the deficit that was handed to them and an oppostion that obstructs everything that the government does to improve the economic situation.

The Republicans gave Obama an economy in deep crisis and a government in deep debt, and they complain now to him, why haven't you fixed it all already?

What the US needs besides cutting government spending in the medium , is first and foremost economic growth and a tax code that allows the massive private capital gains to participate in paying the costs. Just as Clinton did it.

Are you going to support anything you've posted - or is it all opinion?

As for the years 2000 to 2008 - why is it everyone forgets about the damage done to the economy by the terrorist attacks - how many Democrats stood up in Congress (and members of the press spoke out) on September 12, 2001 AGAINST Defense and Intelligence spending? Next, how much did (and still does) Katrina cost our economy?

Maybe President Obama should have explained his personal limitations better when he campaigned for his job? In 2008 he made it sound as though he had more solutions than excuses - didn't he? Worse yet, when President Obama took office, Harry Reid controlled the Senate and Nancy Pelosi controlled the House - they could do whatever they wanted - and they did push through thousands of pages of new legislation - didn't they? Now, when the President lost the House and a rubber stamp in the Senate - we're seeing more regulatory control - aren't we?

As for "tax code that allows the massive private capital gains to participate in paying the costs" - did you notice the equity market lost over $1Trillion in the past 10 days? Don't you think the threat of a tax increase might trigger a larger sell off?

Since, in theory, we're discussing the poll results, one particularly interesting one is:

26. In negotiations about the debt ceiling, did the Republicans in Congress compromise with Barack Obama and the Democrats in Congress too much, too little, or the right amount?

Too much - 15%
Too little - 52%
Right amount - 26%
DK/NA - 7%

27. In negotiations about the debt ceiling, did Barack Obama and the Democrats in Congress compromise with the Republicans in Congress too much, too little, or the right amount?

Too much - 26%
Too little - 34%
Right amount - 32%
DK/NA - 8%
suggesting a significant belief that the Democrats too really should have compromised as much as they did, if not more.

Also
20. Do you think the spending cuts included in the debt ceiling agreement went too far, didn't go far enough, or are they about right?

Too far - 15%
Not far enough - 44%
About right - 29%
DK/NA - 12%
suggesting that the public overwhelmingly supports the spending cuts that the Republicans managed to get passed, even if they don't agree with the methods used or the party that made it an issue.

Also, the Republicans and Democrats roughly equally share disapproval:
6. Do you approve or disapprove of the way Republicans in Congress have handled the negotiations on the debt ceiling?

Approve - 21%
Disapprove - 72%
DK/NA - 7%

7. Do you approve or disapprove of the way Democrats in Congress have handled the negotiations on the debt ceiling?

Approve - 28%
Disapprove - 66%
DK/NA - 6%

Of course, I generally find polls silly. I hate that popularity has as much influence as it does.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Seems the losers of the debt debacle are congress and the Tea Party.

Thanks for the link Evo.

Both Senators from Maine have been complaining in the press about the lack of cooperation and the paucity of useful legislation. Snowe is up for reelection next year and it appears that the Tea Party will challenge her in the primaries because she's a RINO, in their eyes.

BTW, Snowe has not had a primary challenger all through her years in the House and Senate. She gets a lot of Democratic support, too. In a state where only 30% of registered voters are Republican, she can get over 70% in the general election.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Nevertheless, there are apparently 56 members of congress in the Tea Party - as compared to 435. So the Tea Party alone did not stop the process - even if they took an immovable position.

This is true. But the Tea Party played the most significant role.

Realistically, it was pointless to pass a bill in the House if it had no chance of being approved by the Senate. This is true whether the goal is to use the debt ceiling to make some gains in budget deficit reductions or the goal is to force a politically disastorous veto by the President.

If the House had a bill that received no Democratic votes, how realistic was it that the plan would be passed by the Senate?

The responsible reaction of Republican leadership to Tea Party demands would have been to ignore them right from the start and get to work creating a compromise bill that would get Democratic support. I think at one point, Obama, Boehner, and Pelosi were close to doing that with a bill would make cuts in Social Security and in Medicare, and would increase taxes. This would have been a good deal. It's incredibly hard to cut SS and Medicare - getting tax cuts back in a few years wouldn't be nearly as hard. This is the deal that would have prevented S&P from downgrading the US's credit rating. (Actually, Democrats wanting to protect SS and Medicare at any cost should be thanking the Tea Party for taking the heat off of them.)

This is a case where House leaders went back to their fellow members of Congress and decided their political party was more important to them than the US. It's the impact that the Tea Party vote could have on Boehner retaining his job as Speaker of the House that had the biggest impact. It's the fact that Republicans don't have a majority if the Tea Party doesn't support them that has the second biggest impact. The Tea Party may only make up a small percentage of the House, but they make up about 25% of Republicans in the House.

BobG said:
This is true. But the Tea Party played the most significant role.

Realistically, it was pointless to pass a bill in the House if it had no chance of being approved by the Senate. This is true whether the goal is to use the debt ceiling to make some gains in budget deficit reductions or the goal is to force a politically disastorous veto by the President.

If the House had a bill that received no Democratic votes, how realistic was it that the plan would be passed by the Senate?

The responsible reaction of Republican leadership to Tea Party demands would have been to ignore them right from the start and get to work creating a compromise bill that would get Democratic support. I think at one point, Obama, Boehner, and Pelosi were close to doing that with a bill would make cuts in Social Security and in Medicare, and would increase taxes. This would have been a good deal. It's incredibly hard to cut SS and Medicare - getting tax cuts back in a few years wouldn't be nearly as hard. This is the deal that would have prevented S&P from downgrading the US's credit rating. (Actually, Democrats wanting to protect SS and Medicare at any cost should be thanking the Tea Party for taking the heat off of them.)

This is a case where House leaders went back to their fellow members of Congress and decided their political party was more important to them than the US. It's the impact that the Tea Party vote could have on Boehner retaining his job as Speaker of the House that had the biggest impact. It's the fact that Republicans don't have a majority if the Tea Party doesn't support them that has the second biggest impact. The Tea Party may only make up a small percentage of the House, but they make up about 25% of Republicans in the House.
You are so good! Run for President!

BobG said:

The final Bill did not have TEA Party support.

WhoWee said:
The final Bill did not have TEA Party support.
But they are partly responsible for delaying an agreement, which is what caused our credit downgrade.

Evo said:
But they are partly responsible for delaying an agreement, which is what caused our credit downgrade.

One of the reasons S&P gave for the downgrade was that the political climate in the US has become “less stable, effective and predictable.”

Re: the events of the last few months -- personally, I put some of the responsibility of that at the feet of the Tea Party...they were the catalyst. But the Republicans allowed themselves to be taken on this wild ride. They should have been the "adults in the room" when dealing with the the TPers.

But the situation leading up to the last few months -- the political climate has been deteriorating for decades, and both sides need to take responsibility for that.

Evo said:

The downgrade issue aside - how did Boehner protect his position as Speaker (with the TEA Party Caucus members) if none of them supported the final Bill?

WhoWee said:
The downgrade issue aside - how did Boehner protect his position as Speaker (with the TEA Party Caucus members) if none of them supported the final Bill?
Ok, so they are completely responsible? I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Evo said:

you mean partly caused the downgrade. :tongue2:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_US_DEBT_RATING_CHAMBERS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-08-07-11-03-40 [Broken]

The credit rating agency's managing director, John Chambers, tells ABC's "This Week" that if the fiscal position of the U.S. deteriorates further, or if political gridlock tightens even more, a further downgrade is possible.

Chambers also said Sunday that it would take "stabilization and eventual decline" of the federal debt as a share of the economy as well as more consensus in Washington for the U.S. to win back a top rating.

there is still that pesky debt problem.

Jon Stewart will now scowl at you.
uYzUL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Ok, so they are completely responsible? I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

:biggrin:I'm trying to follow BobG's logic regarding Boehner's actions. At the end of the day Boehner did not make them happy - but I don't think he's lost their on-going support?

Evo said:

The credit downgrade wasn't just about how long it took to reach a deal; instead, it had a lot to do with what tea party congressmen and presidential candidates were saying to the public: Don't raise the debt limit.

Unlike corporations or individuals, creditors can't just start collecting when a government goes into default. So the willingness of a government to pay its debts is even more important for investors. The S&P downgrade in part reflects the very suggestion of a default.

SixNein said:
The credit downgrade wasn't just about how long it took to reach a deal; instead, it had a lot to do with what tea party congressmen and presidential candidates were saying to the public: Don't raise the debt limit.

Unlike corporations or individuals, creditors can't just start collecting when a government goes into default. So the willingness of a government to pay its debts is even more important for investors. The S&P downgrade in part reflects the very suggestion of a default.

Perhaps you hit it on the head, SixNein. In fact, I read this same sentiment in a blog at The Economist:

America’s ability to pay is neither here nor there: the problem is its willingness to pay.

It's worth a read.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/08/sps-credit-rating-cut

lisab said:
Perhaps you hit it on the head, SixNein. In fact, I read this same sentiment in a blog at The Economist:

It's worth a read.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/08/sps-credit-rating-cut

The media hype that painted the Republicans as "terrorists" (for example) certainly played a role in swaying public perception. The House Republicans sent 3 Bills that were tabled by Harry Reid in the Senate - this prevented debate and the media gave him a pass.

<h2>What is the significance of the poll results?</h2><p>The poll results show that the approval ratings for Congress and the tea party have reached a new low, indicating a lack of public support and confidence in these institutions.</p><h2>What factors may have contributed to these low ratings?</h2><p>There are several potential factors that could have contributed to the low ratings, such as political polarization, government shutdowns, and controversial policies or actions taken by Congress or the tea party.</p><h2>How do these ratings compare to previous years?</h2><p>According to the poll, these ratings are the lowest they have been in recent years. However, it is important to note that approval ratings for Congress and the tea party have generally been low in recent years.</p><h2>What does this mean for the future of these institutions?</h2><p>The low ratings suggest that there may be a lack of public trust and support for Congress and the tea party, which could potentially impact their ability to pass legislation and make policy decisions in the future.</p><h2>Are there any potential implications for the upcoming elections?</h2><p>It is possible that these low ratings could have an impact on the upcoming elections, as voters may be less likely to support candidates affiliated with Congress or the tea party. However, it is difficult to predict the exact impact without further analysis and research.</p>

What is the significance of the poll results?

The poll results show that the approval ratings for Congress and the tea party have reached a new low, indicating a lack of public support and confidence in these institutions.

What factors may have contributed to these low ratings?

There are several potential factors that could have contributed to the low ratings, such as political polarization, government shutdowns, and controversial policies or actions taken by Congress or the tea party.

How do these ratings compare to previous years?

According to the poll, these ratings are the lowest they have been in recent years. However, it is important to note that approval ratings for Congress and the tea party have generally been low in recent years.

What does this mean for the future of these institutions?

The low ratings suggest that there may be a lack of public trust and support for Congress and the tea party, which could potentially impact their ability to pass legislation and make policy decisions in the future.

Are there any potential implications for the upcoming elections?

It is possible that these low ratings could have an impact on the upcoming elections, as voters may be less likely to support candidates affiliated with Congress or the tea party. However, it is difficult to predict the exact impact without further analysis and research.