Virial Theorem for an expanding globular cluster

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the use of the virial theorem in an expanding system to determine the kinetic energy and gas fraction of a cluster. The overall reasoning is good, but there are uncertainties about the interpretation of the question and the distribution of mass in the system. The next question involves considering the effects of gas expulsion on the stability of the cluster. The requested help is in determining the gas fraction at which the cluster is disrupted.
Barbequeman
Homework Statement
You may make the assumption that the gas and stars are distributed as sphere of constant density and some finite radius rc. The total mass of the stars and of gas is different: assume that the total mass of the gas, Mg, is given by Mg = f M*, where M* is the total mass of the stars.

Start by assuming that the system overall is unrotating and in equilibrium. Calculate the kinetic energy of the stars in terms of rc, f, and M*. Therefore also calculate the total energy of the system.
Relevant Equations
2K+U=0 the basic equation for the virial theorem in a system which is unrotating and in equilibrium
I attached a file which shows my attempt to resolve this problem with the possible two pair interaction which gives us the kinetic energy of the cluster in an expanding system, at least I think so. But to be honest I´m more or less completely stuck with this question and I would be glad if somebody could explain me how to use the virial theorem in this special case.

Attachments

• TEST.jpg
    TEST.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 61
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
The overall reasoning looks good but I'm unsure how the question is supposed to be interpreted. The total (gas + star) mass is ##(1+f)M^*## and it looks as if they'd like us to distribute that uniformly over a sphere of radius ##r_c##. That would have a gravitational potential energy of\begin{align*}
\Omega = \dfrac{-3G(1+f)^2 {M^*}^2}{5r_c}
\end{align*}Then, assuming the gas to have negligible kinetic energy would imply that the mean square speed ##\langle v^2 \rangle## of the stars is\begin{align*}
\langle v^2 \rangle = \dfrac{2T}{M^*} = \dfrac{-\Omega}{M^*} = \dfrac{3G(1+f)^2 M^*}{5r_c}
\end{align*}I don't know which way is right...

Likes PhDeezNutz and Barbequeman
I think I resolved it with the help of my friend from the university to crack the kinetic energy question which is the

Attachments

• Virial_Theorem_Mark.jpg
    Virial_Theorem_Mark.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 54
The next question would be how to resolve towards f, at what gas fraction f the cluster is disrupted

The question in according to our Book is
Now suppose that winds from young stars and supernovae explosions very rapidly (you can assume instantaneously) expel the gas from the system. At what gas fraction f is the cluster disrupted?

With best wishes and thank you for your help

1. What is the Virial Theorem for an expanding globular cluster?

The Virial Theorem is a mathematical relationship that describes the balance between the kinetic and potential energies of a system. In the case of an expanding globular cluster, it is used to understand the dynamics of the cluster as it expands.

2. How is the Virial Theorem applied to expanding globular clusters?

The Virial Theorem is applied by calculating the total kinetic and potential energies of the individual stars within the cluster. By comparing these energies, scientists can determine whether the cluster is expanding or contracting.

3. What information can the Virial Theorem provide about an expanding globular cluster?

The Virial Theorem can provide important information about the dynamics and evolution of an expanding globular cluster. It can reveal whether the cluster is stable or if it is likely to disperse in the future.

4. Can the Virial Theorem be used to predict the future of an expanding globular cluster?

While the Virial Theorem can provide valuable insights into the current state of an expanding globular cluster, it cannot predict its future with certainty. Other factors, such as interactions with neighboring clusters, can also play a role in the cluster's evolution.

5. How does the Virial Theorem for an expanding globular cluster differ from that of a contracting cluster?

The Virial Theorem for an expanding globular cluster takes into account the increasing distance between stars as the cluster expands, while the theorem for a contracting cluster assumes a constant distance between stars. This results in different equations and interpretations of the energy balance within the cluster.