Globular cluster ejected from M87

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of High Velocity Globular Cluster One (HVGC-1) and its interaction with two massive black holes, as well as the difficulty in finding a real image of HVGC-1 and M87 together. The location of HVGC-1 is provided, along with instructions for locating it using tools from Galaxy Zoo. The conversation ends with a mention of M87's famous jet and the unknown explanation for HVGC-1's escape from M87 and the Virgo cluster. The conversation also includes a correction of the name of HVGC-1 to H70848.
liometopum
In preparing a post for the globular cluster thread, I found reference to "High Velocity Globular Cluster One, or HVGC-1. This is the first globular cluster discovered to have been ejected by the interaction of two massive black holes.
http://hvgc-1/
A Globular Cluster Toward M87 with a Radial Velocity < -1000 km/s: The First Hypervelocity Cluster

I couldn't find a real image of HCGC-1 and M87 together, so I went and got one, and wanted to share it with all of you..

The location of HCGC-1 is RA 187.72791°, DEC +12.68295°.
Using the tools provided by Galaxy Zoo, and specifically at http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr12/en/tools/chart/navi.aspx
plug in the coordinates and you get the hit.
Notice the small image to the right. Click on "Explore" which is underneath it.
Then look at the far left column and click on "SIMBAD". Here you will see that this is the globular cluster we are after, known by its other name, H74808.
Use the back arrow key (top left) and then click on the image.
You can scale out by clicking on the "minus" sign, and soon you bring M87 into the picture.

And here it is. The yellow arrow points to M87's famous jet.
M87 and HVGC-1.jpg

The explanation for why the globular cluster is escaping M87, and even the Virgo cluster, is not for sure.

In any case, this image shows how far away HVGC-1 is from M87. And we can get this image using tools from the Galaxy Zoo. I hope you like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes William Askew, wabbit, Garth and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
liometopum said:
The explanation for why the globular cluster is escaping M87, and even the Virgo cluster, is not for sure.
Any ideas on this?

liometopum said:
In preparing a post for the globular cluster thread, I found reference to "High Velocity Globular Cluster One, or HVGC-1. This is the first globular cluster discovered to have been ejected by the interaction of two massive black holes.
http://hvgc-1/
A Globular Cluster Toward M87 with a Radial Velocity < -1000 km/s: The First Hypervelocity Cluster

I couldn't find a real image of HCGC-1 and M87 together, so I went and got one, and wanted to share it with all of you..

The location of HCGC-1 is RA 187.72791°, DEC +12.68295°.
Using the tools provided by Galaxy Zoo, and specifically at http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr12/en/tools/chart/navi.aspx
plug in the coordinates and you get the hit.
Notice the small image to the right. Click on "Explore" which is underneath it.
Then look at the far left column and click on "SIMBAD". Here you will see that this is the globular cluster we are after, known by its other name, H74808.
Use the back arrow key (top left) and then click on the image.
You can scale out by clicking on the "minus" sign, and soon you bring M87 into the picture.

And here it is. The yellow arrow points to M87's famous jet.View attachment 79639

In any case, this image shows how far away HVGC-1 is from M87. And we can get this image using tools from the Galaxy Zoo. I hope you like it!
thanks for this terrific post. I saw the that you wrote HVGC-1's other name as H74808 it shouldve been H70848. thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is a globular cluster?

A globular cluster is a densely packed group of stars that orbit around a galactic center. They typically contain hundreds of thousands to millions of stars, and are held together by their own gravity.

2. What does it mean for a globular cluster to be ejected from M87?

Being ejected from M87 means that the globular cluster was once part of the galaxy M87, but has since been expelled from its orbit and is now moving away from the galaxy.

3. How did the globular cluster get ejected from M87?

The exact mechanism is unknown, but it is believed that interactions with other objects within the galaxy, such as black holes or other clusters, could have caused the ejection.

4. How far away is the globular cluster from M87?

The distance between the globular cluster and M87 will depend on the speed and direction at which it was ejected. However, on average, globular clusters can be found at distances of tens of thousands of light years from their host galaxies.

5. What can we learn from studying a globular cluster that has been ejected from M87?

Studying a globular cluster that has been ejected from M87 can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. It can also help us understand the dynamics of interactions between objects within galaxies and how they can affect the movement of clusters and stars.