High schooler help with work KE theorem and springs

In summary, the student attempted the problems on paper and was unsure of some of the answers. If he is going wrong, the teacher should be able to provide the answers.
toesockshoe

Homework Statement

I attempted the problems and did them on paper. please look at the attachments below. I am a high schooler that is unsure of spring and work-kinetic theorem problems. I was especially unsure of 2 homework problems, both of which are in the attachments. can somebody tell me if the answers are correct. my teacher for some reason doesn't give us the answers (which i think is weird). If i am going wrong somewhere, please correct me. Thanks so much!

Homework Equations

KE-spring theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

please look at attachement

Attachments

• physics problem 1.jpg
    physics problem 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 395
  • physics problem 2.jpg
    physics problem 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry i was unable to use the format. i didnt know how to draw the pictures on the thread. sorry in advance.

For the first problem, explain how tan() comes into it.
For the second, it doesn't help to find the speed when it hits the spring. Since it continues to descend, there is more gravitational PE lost as the spring compresses. Just compare total energy at start with that at finish.

@haruspex
for the first one, would it be 10sin (35) times 0.2 for the work? then would the problem be correct?

do you mind elaborating on the second problem? i barely understand it.

toesockshoe said:
@haruspex
for the first one, would it be 10sin (35) times 0.2 for the work? then would the problem be correct?

do you mind elaborating on the second problem? i barely understand it.
Yes, sin().
In the second one, you found the speed when it hits the spring, and equated the KE at that point with the final PE stored in the spring. But as the spring compresses, the mass continues to descend, so there is more lost gravitational PE to go into spring PE.
You can do the problem in a single step by calculating the total energy when the mass is first released and equating that to the total energy when the spring is at maximum compression. To do this, you must put in an unknown x for that max compression and choose a reference height for zero gravitational PE. (It doesn't matter where you pick that height as long as you are consistent.)

@haruspex hey, i fixed the second problem (i think). i basically said the potential energy when the block is released is mg(0.3+0.3) and k=0. the potential energy when the block is in the compressed spring position is -mgd+(1/2)(kd^2)... where d is the length of the compression. I let potential energy = 0 when the spring is in equilibrium and let the energy at the initial point = the energy at the final point. I got my answer to be 0.1403 meters, which is 14.03 centimeters. Can you please check this answer? I have a quiz tomorrow that I need to ace.

toesockshoe said:
the potential energy when the block is released is mg(0.3+0.3)
Why are you doubling the 0.3? Apart from that, your working looks correct.

@haruspex yeah my bad. i got it. thanks! ... i drew a really messy picture and accidently counted it twice for some stupid reason.

What is the KE theorem and how does it relate to springs?

The KE theorem, also known as the Kinetic Energy theorem, states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This concept is relevant to springs because when a spring is compressed or stretched, work is done on the spring which results in a change in its potential and kinetic energy.

How can high schoolers use the KE theorem and springs in their work?

High schoolers can use the KE theorem and springs in various physics experiments and projects. For example, they can investigate the relationship between the amount of work done on a spring and the resulting change in its potential and kinetic energy. They can also use this concept to design and build devices that utilize springs, such as catapults or pogo sticks.

What are some common misconceptions about the KE theorem and springs?

One common misconception is that the KE theorem only applies to objects in motion. In reality, the KE theorem can also be applied to objects at rest, such as a compressed or stretched spring. Another misconception is that the KE theorem only applies to springs that are elastic, when it actually applies to all types of springs.

What are some real-world applications of the KE theorem and springs?

The KE theorem and springs have numerous real-world applications, such as in car suspension systems, trampolines, and shock absorbers. They are also used in sports equipment, such as in the design of tennis rackets and pole vault poles. Additionally, the KE theorem and springs are essential in understanding the principles of energy conservation and mechanical systems.

How can I apply the KE theorem and springs to solve problems?

To apply the KE theorem and springs to solve problems, you first need to identify the relevant variables, such as the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the distance the spring has been compressed or stretched. Then, you can use the formula for work done to calculate the change in kinetic energy of the object. Finally, you can use this information to solve for other variables, such as the force exerted by the spring or the speed of the object.