1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Visible magnetism? Or what? (right after a very close lightning strike)

1. Jul 11, 2017 #1
    During an intense lightning storm which led to a tornado warning, I saw something in my yard which no one has yet explained. There was ordinary lightning near the ground about 30 feet away. Then I saw the whole front yard filled with fine vertical lines, evenly spaced, maybe a foot or less between them. No sound or feeling of shock or tingling. I couldn't stop to look closer, having to evacuate self and animals. I wonder if it was related to the wireless fence around the property? After reading a lot about lightning, I began to think it was magnetism, which some birds can see due to a substance in the retina. Any serious comments would be welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I've never heard of such a thing, but that doesn't mean much I suppose. Can you tell us more about these lines? What exactly did they look like? Hard and well defined? Soft and "fuzzy"? Dark or light? How far up did they seem to go? Etc.

4. Jul 11, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's difficult to remember things under conditions like that. It could have been just an optical effect from viewing the lightning through a glass window?

5. Jul 11, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember hearing of this on a TV programme. I understood that the 'visual' aspect of the magnetic field was more like an awareness (presented visually) of the gradient / direction of the field than seeing the field at another location. I remember the visual I saw implied the equivalent to a (false) colour gradient over the visual field. It was only a brief item that I saw in a programme about animal migration. (Always suspect anything on TV -even the News)

6. Jul 11, 2017 #5

berkeman

Welcome to the PF.

I'm very glad you were not hurt. Could it have been small flaming bits of debris kicked up by the ground strike? Or maybe from hitting a tree or bush?

In a number of the clips in this video, you can see small flaming bits of debris...

7. Jul 11, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Lightning branches -- how small do the branches get? Is lightning "fuzzy"?

8. Jul 11, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

very small and still reasonably sharp .... am at work at present will post a pic of a very close strike to me some years back
    looked like I was standing under a big set of tree roots

ohhh ..... may be on my storm images page ... will go look

edit found it

041219%20cntrl%20coast%20(1040)a1.jpg

much too close for comfort ... that building was around 50 metres away

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted