1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visiting Schools Before Acceptance

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    I just finished up applying to physics PhD programs for fall 2013. I was trying to think whether there was anything else I could do to increase my chances of admission. Would visiting the schools prior to acceptance increase my chances of getting in, or would it be perceived as annoying?

I could see it from both sides. A visit shows I am dedicated enough to take the time to come out to the school. But I'm sure the faculty have a ton of applications they need to review right now and may prefer to just review the application instead of taking time to meet with a visiting student one-on-one.

What are your thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2
    If you email or call them and ask if you could come in and discuss with them the facilities, the ongoing research opportunities, and stuff like that, and they agree, I don't see the harm.

I'm not sure how wise it would be to just show up and ask to see someone.

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Visiting the school is essential to choosing a program. Its is very unwise not to schedule one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook