Visiting Schools Before Acceptance

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits and drawbacks of visiting potential physics PhD programs prior to acceptance. While it may show dedication and interest, it could also be seen as annoying to faculty who have a large number of applications to review. However, it is considered essential in choosing a program and scheduling a visit is recommended. Just showing up without prior arrangements may not be wise.
AcidRainLiTE
I just finished up applying to physics PhD programs for fall 2013. I was trying to think whether there was anything else I could do to increase my chances of admission. Would visiting the schools prior to acceptance increase my chances of getting in, or would it be perceived as annoying?

I could see it from both sides. A visit shows I am dedicated enough to take the time to come out to the school. But I'm sure the faculty have a ton of applications they need to review right now and may prefer to just review the application instead of taking time to meet with a visiting student one-on-one.

What are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you email or call them and ask if you could come in and discuss with them the facilities, the ongoing research opportunities, and stuff like that, and they agree, I don't see the harm.

I'm not sure how wise it would be to just show up and ask to see someone.

Visiting the school is essential to choosing a program. Its is very unwise not to schedule one.

What is the purpose of visiting schools before acceptance?

Visiting schools before acceptance allows individuals to get a better understanding of the school's environment, culture, and academic programs. It also provides an opportunity for prospective students to ask questions and see if the school is a good fit for them.

Do all schools allow visits before acceptance?

Most schools do allow visits before acceptance, but it is always best to check with the specific school beforehand. Some schools may have restrictions or specific guidelines for visits.

How should I prepare for a school visit?

Before visiting a school, it is important to do some research on the school's website and familiarize yourself with their programs and policies. It is also a good idea to prepare a list of questions to ask during the visit.

What should I look for during a school visit?

During a school visit, pay attention to the school's facilities, classrooms, and resources. Observe the interactions between students and teachers, and ask about extracurricular activities and support services. It is also important to get a feel for the overall atmosphere and culture of the school.

Are school visits necessary for acceptance?

No, school visits are not always necessary for acceptance. However, they can provide valuable insights and help applicants make an informed decision about their future school. Some schools may also take a student's visit into consideration when making acceptance decisions.