Visual Basic or Fortran? -I need your advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of choosing between Fortran and Visual Basic for a programming class. The speakers mention that Visual Basic is easier to learn and has more job opportunities, while Fortran is still used in certain industries but may be more difficult to integrate into applications. They also mention that understanding programming concepts is more important than the specific language being used. The conversation ends with the suggestion to switch to Visual Basic for its ease of use and popularity.
Spirit
Hey everyone,

I have a course requirement for taking one programming class, the choices are Fortran and Visual Basic.

I am not doing well as i expect in fortran, but not sure if its becuase its my first time in programming or the language difficulty. I am thinking to swap to Visual Basic.

What is your advice? Concerning the language difficulties.

On a side note, I would love it if any links to free good material about the languages online that helps beginners like me.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
Visual Basics is really easy.

I never used Fortran, but I'd still imagine Visual Basics is easier.

Fortran or Visual Basic? They sure don't give you decent choices. Either way they're easy though.

From a career point of view:

Visual Basic = Transportable Knowledge. Friends of mine have done very well by quitting technical jobs and becoming VB programmers in other disciplines who pay better than engineering, financial institutes etc.

Fortran = Rare Knowledge. We routinely hire in contract Fortran programmers as nobody really learns it any more. We have to pay them what they ask asd there are not many about and they are not always that good; but then we lay them off after a couple of months once the job is complete.

From a technical point of view:

VB is really designed for database manipulation but has reasonable mathematical and graphical capabilities. It is well suited to quickly cobbling together Windows GUIs but is not very efficient for major number crunching.

Fortran is the industry standard number cruncher. If you need to churn out serious maths fast then fortran makes good efficient code. It is pretty poor when it comes to integrating it into an application.

The company I work for do some serious programming and in general the maths is written in Fortran, The GUIs are written in VB and programme control is done in ADA and C, we then employ a department dedicated to trying to integrate these separate components.

I would recommend VB, as transportable knowledge gives you a door to escape through when the mid-life crisis kicks in.

Spirit said:
I am not doing well as i expect in fortran, but not sure if its becuase its my first time in programming or the language difficulty. I am thinking to swap to Visual Basic.

I've taught programming courses using a few different languages. In my experience, concepts are usually a bigger stumbling block than the details of the particular language. That is, students have the most trouble with fundamental concepts such as sequential execution, boolean logic, selection, looping, subprograms, arrays, etc. and seeing how they are used to solve problems. These concepts are pretty much the same from one language to another.

If that's the sort of thing you're having trouble with, I doubt that switching to VB would help.

Switching can be good because you probably picked up some things in Fortran and can hopefully compare that to VB. Seeing things in more that one language can really help.

I would recommend vb for its popularity and its ease of use.Personally i think that no one cares about Fortran anymore because it is very very old. Besides in vb the GUI development is extremely easy and simple.

1. What is the difference between Visual Basic and Fortran?

Visual Basic is a high-level programming language mainly used for developing graphical user interfaces, while Fortran is a lower-level language primarily used for scientific and mathematical computing.

2. Which language is better for beginners, Visual Basic or Fortran?

Visual Basic is generally considered easier to learn for beginners due to its more user-friendly syntax and built-in graphical elements. However, Fortran can also be a good choice for beginners interested in scientific computing.

3. Can Visual Basic or Fortran be used for data analysis?

Both languages can be used for data analysis, but Fortran is often preferred for its strong capabilities in mathematical and scientific computing. Visual Basic also has data analysis features, but they are not as robust as Fortran's.

4. Is it possible to combine Visual Basic and Fortran in one program?

Yes, it is possible to combine the two languages in one program. This can be done by using Visual Basic for the user interface and Fortran for the computational and data analysis portions of the program.

5. Which language is more widely used in industry, Visual Basic or Fortran?

Visual Basic is more commonly used in industry due to its flexibility and user-friendly features. However, Fortran is still widely used in specific industries such as scientific research and engineering.