Voice Synthesis with a uC - Audio File IP Available?

In summary, the conversation discusses using voice synthesis and playing simple tones on a mid-range 8-bit microcontroller. The speaker is looking for information on audio data file standards, sample rates, data width, and compression for the audio files. They are also inquiring about where to find or purchase audio files. The conversation also mentions that the WAV and au formats are commonly used for this purpose, with 8-bit resolution and a sample rate of 14 kHz being adequate.
berkeman
Mentor
Voice Synthesis with a uC -- Audio File IP Available?

I'm working on a project that will involve voice synthesis and playing simple tones using a mid-range 8-bit microcontroller (uC). I've done my own proprietary tone synthesis many years ago (with an 8051), but for this present project, I'd like to use some popular standard for the audio data files. The audio quality does not need to be CD music quality -- just reasonable voice and simple tones.

I've done a little searching for info on the standards, and searching for what is typically done with simple uCs for audio synthesis, but I'm not finding any great Rosetta stones so far. What do people generally do for voice synthesis on 8-bit uCs? What would be the right data format for me to plan on using, and what sample rate and data width (8-bits?) are typically used? Is compression always used for the stored data? If I want to get or purchase audio files to use, where should I go looking?

Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you just looking to play back pre-recorded samples of audio? The easiest possible standard is WAV. Other than a small amount of header information, the entire file is nothing more than uncompressed samples.

Another pretty simple and common format would be au. You can get somewhat better audio for the same data rate.

Speech has very little meaningful content beyond 7 kHz or so, so you would not need to use any sample rates above 14 kHz. 8-bit resolution is probably entirely adequate for this application.

- Warren

Thanks chroot. I'll check out the links tomorrow when I'm back at work.

1. How does voice synthesis with a uC work?

Voice synthesis with a microcontroller (uC) involves using algorithms and digital signal processing techniques to generate human-like speech from text or audio input. The uC processes the input data and converts it into a series of acoustic parameters, which are then used to produce the desired speech output.

2. What is an audio file IP and how is it used in voice synthesis with a uC?

An audio file IP (Intellectual Property) is a pre-designed and pre-verified block of code that can be integrated into a uC to enable audio playback or synthesis. In voice synthesis, the audio file IP is used to store and play back pre-recorded human speech or sound effects, which can be combined with the uC's synthesized speech to create a more realistic output.

3. What are the benefits of using voice synthesis with a uC?

Voice synthesis with a uC offers several benefits, including low cost, compact size, and low power consumption. It can also provide more natural and human-like speech compared to traditional text-to-speech methods. Additionally, uCs can be easily programmed and reprogrammed, making them highly versatile for various applications.

4. Can voice synthesis with a uC be used for multiple languages?

Yes, voice synthesis with a uC can be used for multiple languages by programming the uC with different sets of phonemes and rules for each language. This allows for more accurate and natural-sounding speech in different languages.

5. What are some common applications of voice synthesis with a uC?

Voice synthesis with a uC has a wide range of applications, including in smart devices like virtual assistants, robotic and AI systems, language translation devices, assistive technology for individuals with speech impairments, and more. It can also be used for creating voiceovers in media, video games, and other forms of entertainment.