Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Time to crank up "historical imagery" in Google Earth.

Known as the Hunga Ha'apai volcano, Matangi Tonga says it may have been erupting for more than a week.
I didn't know volcano eruptions could happen without anyone noting it for a week.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I didn't know volcano eruptions could happen without anyone noting it for a week.
It was noted by locals , obviously just not widely publicised

Known as the Hunga Ha'apai volcano, Matangi Tonga says it may have been erupting for more than a week.
The eruption was first reported by a fisherman who came back from the area on December 19, according to the Deputy Secretary of Lands and Natural Resources, Taniela Kula.
my bold

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Looked it over with Google earth just for a "big picture" context of a major geological event; floods and landslides make obvious major changes when comparing photos from different dates, so this should be dramatic, right? Got a couple photos of "steam" from fissures drifting downwind that look like a smoldering dump fire, no dramatic change of reef structures. This is a little bitty event.