Voltage measured across battery terminals

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage drop when using an LED light with a switch and a resistor connected to a DC voltage source. The voltage drop is caused by the internal resistance of the battery, which limits the amount of current it can supply. This results in a voltage divider when the battery is connected to a load. The expert also provides a visual model of the battery's internal behavior.
ramonegumpert
Hello Experts! :!)

I have a LED light with 3 leds, a switch and a resistor i added to adjust for higher supply voltage.

I removed the batteries and connect it to a DC voltage source from power adaptor.

Without anything connected as load to this DC source, the voltage read 5.17V

with the LED connect to the DC source and LED switch turned on, the voltage measured across the same terminals is lower at 4.97v.

I found that the switch itself has a resistance of 0.75 ohm.

I could not understand why the voltage supplied is 5.17v measured at the battery terminals but when the LEDs are switched on, it drops a bit. Should not the voltage source measured at the terminals remain constant?

Sorry if this is a noob question. I am beginning to explore this field.

Hope to receive your advice.

sincerely
Ramone :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a good question.

Basically, the reason the voltage drops is because of the internal resistance of the battery.

Batteries can't supply infinite amount of current. If you attempt to draw more current, then more voltage will drop. And if you were to connect a battery to a load, then you will get a voltage divider. Here is a model of its internal behavior:

http://people.sinclair.edu/nickreeder/EET150/PageArt/voltageSourceResistance.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Waht,
thanks for your clear explanation. I really appreciate it.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead.

sincerely
Ramone

1. What is voltage measured across battery terminals?

Voltage measured across battery terminals is the difference in electrical potential between the positive and negative terminals of a battery. It is a measure of the battery's ability to deliver electrical energy.

2. How is voltage measured across battery terminals?

Voltage is typically measured by using a voltmeter, which is connected to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. The voltmeter displays the voltage in units of volts (V).

3. What is the significance of measuring voltage across battery terminals?

Measuring voltage across battery terminals is important because it allows us to determine the state of charge of the battery and its ability to power electronic devices. It also helps in identifying any potential issues with the battery or the circuit it is connected to.

4. What factors can affect the voltage measured across battery terminals?

The voltage measured across battery terminals can be affected by various factors such as temperature, battery age, and load. Higher temperatures can lead to a decrease in voltage, while an old or worn-out battery may have a lower voltage. Additionally, connecting a load to the battery can also cause a drop in voltage.

5. How can the voltage measured across battery terminals be increased?

The voltage measured across battery terminals can be increased by connecting multiple batteries in series or by using a voltage booster. However, it is important to note that the voltage should not be increased beyond the manufacturer's recommended limit, as it can damage the battery and connected devices.