Voltage multiplication using a battery

In summary, the person is looking for a way to charge capacitors in a series for powering a coilgun. There are potential safety issues, but the person is aware of them and has taken precautions. They also suggest looking into charge pumps and a Wimshurst machine.
alpine2beach
Okay, so before when I asked a question about voltage multiplication, I was recommended a charge pump. But now I realize that creating a charge pump to get the voltage I want would be rather ridiculous. So, here is my problem: I need to get 1000vdc from a 9vdc battery, but I'm not entirely sure how to do this conveniently (well, more conveniently than a charge pump that is). Have any suggestions?

Note: I don't want to convert to AC, otherwise, I wouldn't be asking this question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
alpine2beach said:
Okay, so before when I asked a question about voltage multiplication, I was recommended a charge pump. But now I realize that creating a charge pump to get the voltage I want would be rather ridiculous. So, here is my problem: I need to get 1000vdc from a 9vdc battery, but I'm not entirely sure how to do this conveniently (well, more conveniently than a charge pump that is). Have any suggestions?

Note: I don't want to convert to AC, otherwise, I wouldn't be asking this question.

What is the application? What kind of potential safety issues could you identify in this project for us?

I suggested looking at charge pumps when I did not know your source or target.

I can't imagine why you don't want to use a step up transfomer. A 9v battery can readily be persuaded to yield 500 to 1500 volts with a Hartley oscillator configuration, which is very simple. This is how many insulation testers work.

But, since you eschew such methods, try a Wimshurst machine. You will not then need a battery at all, just a bit of muscle power.

berkeman said:
What is the application? What kind of potential safety issues could you identify in this project for us?

Lol, I knew I would be asked that. The application is for charging capacitors in a series, which are being used to power a coilgun. The potential safety issues aren't really an issue, as I have dealt with high voltage before, and know the safety precautions that I must take.

Last edited:
Studiot said:
I suggested looking at charge pumps when I did not know your source or target.

I can't imagine why you don't want to use a step up transfomer. A 9v battery can readily be persuaded to yield 500 to 1500 volts with a Hartley oscillator configuration, which is very simple. This is how many insulation testers work.

But, since you eschew such methods, try a Wimshurst machine. You will not then need a battery at all, just a bit of muscle power.

I guess I wasn't very specific on my first question. Anyways, I need to charge capacitors in a series. I need the DC because that would require a inverter, a transformer, and a bridge rectifier, and I am rather limited on space and weight. So to combat this, I thought that a DC to DC converter would be a much better alternative. A whimshurst machine would make a good alternative, although the same issue with the space turns up.

i don't know what is a whimshurst

but take a look at how the flash unit works in a throwaway disposable camera.

they turn 1.5 vdc into 400 vdc
using a "flyback" converter

how fast do you want to charge the cap?

local photolab folks at grocery or drugstore will probably give you a grocery sack of old disposable cameras- put 9v to one and see what it'll do.

But be careful, that photoflash capacitor in the camera will probably be charged and it's easy to get a surprisingly vigorous shock. Discharge it before you get very far nto disassembly..

The potential safety issues aren't really an issue, as I have dealt with high voltage before, and know the safety precautions that I must take.

I am glad I'm not helping someone with this attitude power a coilgun.
I retire from this thread, mods please feel free to delete my contributions (if any) so far.

Studiot said:
I am glad I'm not helping someone with this attitude power a coilgun.
I retire from this thread, mods please feel free to delete my contributions (if any) so far.

Yeah, wanting to make a highly portable railgun in high school. I think this thread is done.

1. What is voltage multiplication using a battery?

Voltage multiplication using a battery is a process where the voltage output of a battery is increased by connecting multiple batteries in a series. This allows for a higher voltage output, which can be useful in certain applications.

2. How does voltage multiplication using a battery work?

When batteries are connected in a series, the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the next battery. This creates a cumulative voltage output, with each battery adding to the total voltage. For example, two 1.5V batteries connected in series will produce a total output of 3V.

3. What are some practical applications of voltage multiplication using a battery?

This technique is commonly used in electronic devices that require higher voltage outputs, such as in power tools, flashlights, and some household appliances. It can also be used in scientific experiments and research.

4. Are there any risks associated with voltage multiplication using a battery?

Yes, there are some risks involved, especially if the batteries are not connected properly. If the batteries are connected in reverse polarity, it can cause damage to the batteries and the device they are powering. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and instructions when using this technique.

5. Can any type of battery be used for voltage multiplication?

No, not all batteries are suitable for voltage multiplication. It is important to use batteries with the same voltage and capacity to ensure a stable output. Mixing different types of batteries can also be dangerous and should be avoided.