1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage required for penetration of an unknown element

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An unknown element has a nucleus with charge 14.00 e and a radius of about 3.60×10-15 m. How much voltage must be used to accelerate a proton (radius 1.20×10-15 m) so that is has sufficient energy to just penetrate the unknown element?
    Assume that the potential is that for point charges.

2. Relevant equations
    V = kQ/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried calculating the two potential differences caused by the incoming proton and the positively charged atom, then adding them separately, but it seems that this isn't the right answer/ right approach.
    V = (8.99e9*(14*(1.6e-19))/3.6e-15) + (8.99e9(1.6e-19)/1.2e-15) = 6.79e6 V
    Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are looking for the amount of energy (work) to bring two charges into contact. What is the force between two charges?

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3
    So then I should use F=fqQ/r^2 to find the force between the two charges when they meet? I did that (and got 6.71E-13N) -- so then I can find the acceleration, but I'm still not sure how value this would be used to calculate voltage?

5. Jan 19, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just wanted to know if you were familiar with the general Coulomb repulsion/attraction. The problem statement has apparently done the integration for the work, but omitted one of the charges, perhaps to give you a potential (rather than work) in terms of volts per unit charge. Hint enough?

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5
    Oh, I got the answer now. I forgot that the calculation for potential difference only involves the charge acting on the proton, and doesn't involve the charge of the proton itself. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted