1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltmeter relative error question. (Computer Controlled Measurement)

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You measure 50V with a voltmeter, which has 300V as the max. input voltage. What will be the relative error (h%) of the measurement?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    hi i divided 50v / 300 V and get = 1,66 and divided it by 100 to get relative error in % and get %0.0016 just wanted to know my answer is correct or not thank you from now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hard to say. As in 'impossible' with what you gave us.

Voltmeters usually have an absolute voltage error plus a "% of full scale" error. So if the
    reading is 50V, the absolute error is 0.1V and the % of full scale is 0.1% the error would be +/- (0.1V + 300*0.001V) = +/- 0.4V. So the 'relative eror' of your measurement would be +/- 0.4/50 = 0.8%.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    just got an email from the teacher he is mistaken he havent complated the question and i solved it anyway thanks for your helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted