Volume and surface area of a cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
Paulo Serrano
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need the ratio like in the image below
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4015/foiessa.jpg
I guess as a function of D.

Homework Equations


Volume of a cylinder: pi*r^2*h
Area: 2*pi*r*(h+r)

The Attempt at a Solution



No clue.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have expressions for the area and volume, you are told to compute the ratio

[tex]\frac {Volume} {Area}[/tex]

What is your problem?
 
The area of a cylinder, as far as I remember, is: 2*pi*r*h +(2*pi*r^2)
 
Now find the the volume, and divide that by area.

V= d^2*pi*h

A= (2*pi*d*h) + (2pi*d^2)

And now write V/A = (d^2*pi*h)/[(2*pi*d*h) + (2pi*d^2)]

I hope I am right, and that it helps! :)
 
That is a good start. Now do some simplification.