What is the percentage of water in a sphere given its volume and radius?

In summary: Thank you for catching that!In summary, the student is unsure how to solve equations for the volume of a sphere, cylinder, and cone. They need help with (a) and (b), but don't know how to do (c) and (d). Lihu has posted the solution to (d), so the student can focus on that.
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

I can do part (a) and (b) but don't really know how to do (c) and (d). Can somebody teach me how to go about solving it.

image.jpg

Homework Equations

Volume of cone: $$\frac{1}{3}πr^2h$$
Volume of cylinder: $$πr^2h$$
Volume of sphere: $$\frac{4}{3}πr^3$$
Curved surface area of cylinder: $$2πrh$$
Curved surface area of cone: $$πrl$$

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) $$π⋅4^2⋅8+\frac{1}{3}π⋅4^2⋅6=502.65≈503cm^3$$
(b)$$2⋅π⋅4⋅8+π⋅4⋅\sqrt{4^2+6^2}=291.67≈292cm^2$$

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do (a) so you know the volume of the water that gets poured into the sphere - you also know an equation for the volume of a sphere.
Do you also have an equation for the volume of the spherical cap?

I haven't learned about that, the formula that I listed is what I know from now. Thanks

I also know about the surface area of a sphere is $$4πr^2$$

I haven't learned about that, the formula that I listed is what I know from now.
... but no matter, you can look it up.

You don't need the formula for the cap, the information is sufficient to find the answer. Draw a 2d representation of the sphere (a circle) and from the centre of the circle, draw a line directly up connecting it and the water surface and label this length h. Then create a right triangle by connecting the centre and where the water surface touches the circle. This is the radius r.
Now you have a right triangle with unknowns r and h, and by Pythagoras, you have a relationship between those two unknowns. Can you find any other equation that also gives a relationship between r and h? Hint: What information has been given to you that you haven't used yet?

Also, it should be pretty clear that the surface area formulas don't play a role in this question. Don't get distracted by those and just stick to volume.

Likes Simon Bridge
image.jpg

Likes Simon Bridge
Thank you Mr Bridge and Mentallic for attending to my query

Mentallic said:
You don't need the formula for the cap, the information is sufficient to find the answer. Draw a 2d representation of the sphere (a circle) and from the centre of the circle, draw a line directly up connecting it and the water surface and label this length h. Then create a right triangle by connecting the centre and where the water surface touches the circle. This is the radius r.
Now you have a right triangle with unknowns r and h, and by Pythagoras, you have a relationship between those two unknowns. Can you find any other equation that also gives a relationship between r and h? Hint: What information has been given to you that you haven't used yet?

Also, it should be pretty clear that the surface area formulas don't play a role in this question. Don't get distracted by those and just stick to volume.

I must be missing something: I don't see how a volume-related question can ignore the volume of the cap---or, rather, the formula for the volume.

Ray Vickson said:
I must be missing something: I don't see how a volume-related question can ignore the volume of the cap---or, rather, the formula for the volume.
You agree that the radius of the sphere can be determined without any volume formulae, correct? Lihu posted the solution.

Well, for question (d), we already know the volume of the water that was poured into the sphere, and we know the radius of the sphere, hence the volume, thus we can find the percentage of water that filled the sphere or even the volume of the cap if we were asked for it.

It's a good catch by Mentallic - (c) is not, in fact, a volume-related question. The volume doesn't matter for the answer. The information about the volume of water that fills the sphere to height 10cm is a red herring.

I may be interesting to check that the dimensions given describe the correct volume though.

Mentallic said:
You agree that the radius of the sphere can be determined without any volume formulae, correct? Lihu posted the solution.

Well, for question (d), we already know the volume of the water that was poured into the sphere, and we know the radius of the sphere, hence the volume, thus we can find the percentage of water that filled the sphere or even the volume of the cap if we were asked for it.

Ahhh... I missed that first, crucial, sentence about where the water came from.

Related to What is the percentage of water in a sphere given its volume and radius?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How do you measure the radius of a sphere?

The radius of a sphere can be measured by taking the distance from the center of the sphere to any point on its surface.

3. Can the volume of a sphere be calculated if only the diameter is given?

Yes, the volume of a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = (1/6)πd³, where d is the diameter of the sphere.

4. Does the volume of a sphere change if it is cut in half?

No, the volume of a sphere remains the same regardless of how it is cut or divided.

5. How does the volume of a sphere compare to other shapes?

The volume of a sphere is greater than any other shape with the same surface area, making it the most efficient shape for holding a given amount of liquid.