Volume between two paraboloids.

• Thread starter forty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of the region between two paraboloids using Cartesian coordinates. The speaker suggests using a double integral with respect to x and y, and provides the boundaries for each variable. They also mention using trigonometric substitutions and cylindrical coordinates as alternative methods. In the end, they confirm that the integral they found using trig identities is correct.
forty
Find the volume of the region between the two paraboloids z1=2x2+2y2-2 and z2=10-x2-y2 using Cartesian coordinates.

I let z1 = z2 and solved this to get the intersection of the two paraboloids which gave y2+x2=4 (Which I can also use as my domain for integration?)

So the volume of the area between them would be the double integral of z2-z1 dA (where dA = dxdy)

x goes from -(4-y2)1/2 to (4-y2)1/2 and y goes from -2 to 2.

so integrating z2-z1 with respect to x first and plugging in the terminals (after some algebra which I hope I've done right) condenses to 4(4-y2)3/2 now I need to integrate this with respect to y from -2 to 2.

I don't know how to solve that integral, I've tried parts and looking up tables. If I've stuffed up somewhere or have done this completely wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To work out the integral start with a trig substitution, like y=2*sin(t). Then use a double angle formula to deal with things like cos^2.

I end up with 64 times the integral from -(pi/2) to (pi/2) of (cos(t))^4 dt.

Is this right?

*I found the solution to this using trig identities (24pi), but have I ended up with the right integral?*

Last edited:
Or use cylindrical coordinates. [itex]z= 2x^2+ 2y^2- 2[/itex] becomes [itex]z= 2r^2- 2[/itex] and [itex]z= 10- x^2- y^2[/itex] becomes [itex]z= 10- r^2[/itex]. Of course, the "differential of area" for the xy-plane is [itex]r dr d\theta[/itex] in cylindrical coordinates so the integral is
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= 0}^2 [(10- r^2)- (2r^2- 2)]drd\theta[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= 0}^2 (12- r^2)r drd\theta[/tex]
[tex]= 12\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= 0}^2 (r- r^2) drd\theta[/tex]

I would use cylindrical coordinates usually but the question says explicitly to use Cartesian. And also doing the integration you suggested I get -16pi. How can the volume be negative? (I always feel so bad questioning you!)

Last edited:
forty said:
I end up with 64 times the integral from -(pi/2) to (pi/2) of (cos(t))^4 dt.

Is this right?

*I found the solution to this using trig identities (24pi), but have I ended up with the right integral?*

That looks right to me. Hall's integrand should have been 12-3*r^2. It works out to be the same thing.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the volume between two paraboloids?

The formula for finding the volume between two paraboloids is V = ∫ ∫ ∫ (f(x,y) - g(x,y)) dV, where f(x,y) and g(x,y) are the equations of the two paraboloids and dV represents the volume element. This integral can also be written as V = ∫ ∫ A(x,y) dA, where A(x,y) represents the area between the two paraboloids at each point (x,y).

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the volume between two paraboloids?

The limits of integration for finding the volume between two paraboloids can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the two paraboloids. These points will serve as the boundaries for the integration in both the x and y directions.

3. Can the volume between two paraboloids be negative?

No, the volume between two paraboloids cannot be negative. This is because the volume is calculated by taking the difference between the two paraboloids, which will always result in a positive value.

4. What is the relationship between the volume between two paraboloids and the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume between two paraboloids and the volume of a solid of revolution are related in that they both involve integrating the area of a shape to find the volume. However, the solid of revolution involves rotating a curve around an axis, while the volume between two paraboloids involves finding the difference between two paraboloids.

5. How does changing the equations of the paraboloids affect the volume between them?

Changing the equations of the paraboloids will affect the volume between them in different ways. For example, if the equations are changed to have a larger radius or height, the volume between them will increase. If the equations are changed to have a smaller radius or height, the volume between them will decrease. Additionally, changing the orientation or position of the paraboloids will also affect the volume between them.