1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume-calculating function in Mathematica

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Create a function MyContainer[R, L, l, H] in the program 'Mathematica' to determine the capacity of fluid in the container according to the given filling height H. The container is a cyclinder with cones on both sides.

The arguments of the function MyContainer[R, L, l, H] have to be changeable. The function has to have the property of being able to calculate the volume, irrespective of the values of the linear dimensions ( R,L,l).

Create a graph that depicts the filling height (H) dependance of the filling volume (v).

image002.gif

I really appreciate the help, I need to get started with this assignment, but I am not sure how. I am not very crafty at using Mathematica, it is one of the course homeworks that everybody has to submit.

Great thanks!

3. The attempt at a solution

All I know is that I have to integrate to find the volumes, but I don't know how to write down the equations and the limits of the integrals.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    Firstly, I tried to calculate the volumes of the cones, the cylinder volume is easy (no integration needed?).

I tried the following expression:

Integrate[2 [l/R] Sqrt[x^2 + z^2], {x, 0, R}, {z, -Sqrt[R^2 - x^2], Sqrt[R^2 - x^2]}, {y, Sqrt[x^2 + z^2], l}, Reals]
    Simplify[%]

But unfortunately, Mathematica doesn't give any sensible result for this integral. The professor saw this effort and promised to show his own solution, hopefully I will get it solved, eventually.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    Okay, I think I got it already, the cone stuff is relatively easy. It was all about the limits of the integrals, I needed no more specific integrand than dzdydx. Great.

The graph still needs to be created. Not difficult probably.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook