Proving the equation for the height of a cylinder

In summary, in order to find the volume of a band created by removing a central cylinder from a sphere, one must evaluate the integral 4/3*pi*(A^2-a^2)^3/2 where A is the radius of the sphere and a is the radius of the cylinder. This volume only depends on the height of the band, which can be represented by taking half the height of the cylinder, h, and setting it equal to the square root of the difference between the radii of the sphere and cylinder.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

Consider a sphere of radius A from which a central cylinder of radius a (where 0 < a < A ) has been removed.
Write down a double or a triple integral (your choice) for the volume of this band, evaluate the integral, and show that the volume depends only upon the height of the band.

Homework Equations

V=pi*r^2*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I've finished all the necessary integrals and arrived at 4/3*pi*(a^2-b^2)^3/2. The answer in the textbook states that (a^2-b^2)^3/2=h^3. so that'd mean that sqrt(a^2-b^2) = h. I don't know how to prove that relationship, however, so that is my biggest problem with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
What is ##b##?
b is the radius of the cylinder which I am cutting out of the sphere, sorry that I didn't explain that earlier.

Your original statement of the problem says the radius of the cylinder is ##a##.

LCKurtz said:
Your original statement of the problem says the radius of the cylinder is ##a##.
I set b to be the lower boundary of r. So the final value should have really said: 4/3*pi*(A^2-a^2)^3/2, where A is the radius of the sphere and a is the cylinder radius. I just need to know how (A^2-a^2)^3/2 = h^3

It helps to be clear what the variables are. In your OP you stated the volume of the cylinder is ##\pi r^2 h## which implies you are using ##h## as the height of the cylinder. If that is the case, then ##\frac h 2 =\sqrt{A^2-a^2}##. But if you are using ##h## for half the height of the cylinder, then ##h =\sqrt{A^2-a^2}## which would give you your formula.

LCKurtz said:
It helps to be clear what the variables are. In your OP you stated the volume of the cylinder is ##\pi r^2 h## which implies you are using ##h## as the height of the cylinder. If that is the case, then ##\frac h 2 =\sqrt{A^2-a^2}##. But if you are using ##h## for half the height of the cylinder, then ##h =\sqrt{A^2-a^2}## which would give you your formula.
Wait what's the equation where you got that h equals that?Do you set the volume of the cylinder equal to something?

Mohamed Abdul said:
Wait what's the equation where you got that h equals that? Do you set the volume of the cylinder equal to something?
Draw a picture of the cross section of your figure and label radii and height in the figure.There's an obvious right triangle in there.

LCKurtz said:
Draw a picture of the cross section of your figure and label radii and height in the figure.There's an obvious right triangle in there.
I'm drawing the picture but I'm not seeing anything. I set the triangle up along the edge of the sphere and got a base of A-a, but I'm not sure of the angles to find the other side lengths.

Here's a picture where ##h## is half the height of the cylinder:
pic.jpg

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 685
LCKurtz said:
Here's a picture where ##h## is half the height of the cylinder:
View attachment 213500
Thank you, I understand that half the height would equal the square root of the square of the distances between A and a

What is the equation for the height of a cylinder?

The equation for the height of a cylinder is h = V/πr^2, where h is the height, V is the volume, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

How do you prove the equation for the height of a cylinder?

To prove the equation for the height of a cylinder, you can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder, which is V = πr^2h. By rearranging this formula, you can solve for h and derive the equation h = V/πr^2.

What are the units for the height of a cylinder in the equation?

The units for the height of a cylinder in the equation h = V/πr^2 are the same as the units for the volume (V) and the radius (r), which can vary depending on the units used for measurement (e.g. meters, feet, etc.).

Can the equation for the height of a cylinder be used for any cylinder?

Yes, the equation for the height of a cylinder can be used for any cylinder, as long as the units of measurement for the volume and radius are consistent.

What is the significance of the equation for the height of a cylinder in real-world applications?

The equation for the height of a cylinder is useful in various real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical container or determining the amount of liquid that can be held in a cylindrical tank. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry for calculations involving cylinders.