Volume enclosed by two paraboloids

• Thread starter Damascus Road
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary: You're taking all possible cylindrical slices, so they're from r = … to … ?(though it might be easier to take horizontal slices, from z = … to … )That's a good start.
Damascus Road
Hello,

This is a question in which I'm getting the right answer, I just want to make sure what I'm doing its legitimate, as it seems a bit off to me.

The volume enclosed by
[tex]z=16[x^{2}+y^{2}], z=8-16[x^{2}+y^{2}][/tex]

I set my triple integral up as follows:
[tex]\int^{?r}_{?r}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{8-16r^{2}}_{16r^{2}} r dz d\vartheta dr[/tex]

So, my height is the bottom function to the upper, and obviously completing a full circle.
Now here is what I'm unsure about.

I know I need to either do two integrals for r and add them together 0 to 1 and 0 to -1,
or -1 to 1 so that I'm only left with 2/pi (the answer) but what is the logic behind getting the limits for r?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Damascus Road! :smile:
Damascus Road said:
Now here is what I'm unsure about.

I know I need to either do two integrals for r and add them together 0 to 1 and 0 to -1,
or -1 to 1 so that I'm only left with 2/pi (the answer) but what is the logic behind getting the limits for r?

I don't understand what your two integrals for r are :confused:

r cannot be negative.

You're taking all possible cylindrical slices, so they're from r = … to … ?

(though it might be easier to take horizontal slices, from z = … to … )

That's a good start.
It should be obvious that the origin, r=0, is contained in the volume so that is your lower limit on r. Now, where do the two graphs, z= 16r^2 and z= 8- 16r^2 intersect? That will give the upper limit on the r integral.

Ok, thanks HallsofIvy.

Now to make sure I understand it... in my head it seems to make sense that maybe you have to take two integrals wrt r, since its technically moving through two different functions isn't it?

Or does taking the integral of the height first take care of that, providing a "smooth" boundary?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume enclosed by two paraboloids?

The formula for calculating the volume enclosed by two paraboloids is V = (1/6)πh(a^2 + ab + b^2), where h is the height of the paraboloids and a and b are the radii of the base circles of the paraboloids.

2. How do you determine the height of the paraboloids?

The height of the paraboloids can be determined by finding the difference between the z-coordinates of the highest point and the lowest point of the paraboloids. Alternatively, if the equation of the paraboloids is known, the height can be found by solving for z = 0.

3. Can the volume enclosed by two paraboloids be negative?

No, the volume enclosed by two paraboloids cannot be negative. This is because volume is a measure of space and space cannot have a negative value. If the calculated volume is negative, it is likely that an error was made in the calculations.

4. How can the volume enclosed by two paraboloids be used in practical applications?

The volume enclosed by two paraboloids can be used in various applications such as calculating the capacity of containers or tanks with a paraboloid shape, determining the volume of liquids or gases trapped within paraboloid-shaped objects, and in engineering and architecture for designing structures with paraboloid components.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for calculating the volume enclosed by two paraboloids?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the formula for calculating the volume enclosed by two paraboloids. The formula assumes that the two paraboloids are symmetrical and have the same height and base radius. It also assumes that the base circles of the paraboloids are parallel to each other. If these conditions are not met, the calculated volume may not be accurate.