Volume of a Cavity in an Iron Casting

In summary, the iron casting weighs 300 N in air and 200 N in water. Using the formula for density and weight, the mass is determined to be 30.6 kg. To find the volume of the cavities, the buoyant force is used, which is equal to the displaced water. By subtracting the buoyant force from the actual weight, the effective weight in water is found. However, the total volume of the casting is still unknown and needs to be calculated.
Okazaki

Homework Statement

An iron casting weighs 300 N in air and 200 N in water. What is the volume of cavities in the casting, if the density of iron is 7800 kg/m3 ?

Homework Equations

d = m/V
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not sure in the slightest of how to solve this problem. So I tried using an approach I tried in a similar problem.

Fg = mg
300 N = m * 9.8 m/s2
==> m = 30.6 kg

diron = 7800 kg/m3
dwater = 999.97 kg/m3

ddifference = -(6800.03) kg/m3

V = m/d
= 30.6 kg /6800.03 kg/m3
= 0.0045 m3

I know this is probably so far from the right answer, but I literally don't have any idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okazaki said:
but I literally don't have any idea where to start.
Well, you did start.
The mass is 30.6 kg, good.
How much volume of iron does that correspond to? This is independent of the weight in water.

What is the effect that reduces the (effective) weight in water, and what does it tell you about the object? This is independent of its composition.

mfb said:
Well, you did start.
The mass is 30.6 kg, good.
How much volume of iron does that correspond to? This is independent of the weight in water.

What is the effect that reduces the (effective) weight in water, and what does it tell you about the object? This is independent of its composition.

Well, if you do it out:

d = m/v
v = m/d
= 3.92 x 10-3m3

And the buoyant force is the one that basically reduces the effective weight of an object in water. This force is equal to the displaced water, correct? So:

Fb = mfg
==> dwater*v*g

...We do use the density of water here, right?

=999.97 kg/m3 * 3.92 x 10-3m3 * 9.8
=38.21 N

And I just looked in the book, and the formula for weight vs. apparent weight is:

(apparent weight) = (actual weight) - (magnitude of buoyant force.)

...But, I'm confused. Would we put 300 N for actual weight? If we did, there's no way you could get 200 N by subtracting the buoyant force.

Okazaki said:
And the buoyant force is the one that basically reduces the effective weight of an object in water. This force is equal to the displaced water, correct?
Yes, but you don't know the total volume yet.
You have to find the force by comparing the 300 N with the 100 N.

1. What is the definition of volume in the context of a cavity in an iron casting?

The volume of a cavity in an iron casting refers to the amount of space or capacity within the cavity. This can be measured in units such as cubic inches or cubic centimeters.

2. How is the volume of a cavity in an iron casting calculated?

The volume of a cavity in an iron casting can be calculated by measuring the length, width, and depth of the cavity and using the formula V = l x w x d, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and d is the depth.

3. Why is it important to know the volume of a cavity in an iron casting?

Knowing the volume of a cavity in an iron casting is important for several reasons. It allows for accurate estimation of materials needed for production, helps determine the strength and stability of the casting, and aids in identifying any defects or irregularities.

4. How does the volume of a cavity in an iron casting affect the overall casting process?

The volume of a cavity in an iron casting can greatly impact the casting process. It affects the amount of molten iron needed, the cooling and solidification time, and the potential for shrinkage or distortion. It is important to carefully calculate and control the volume of the cavity to ensure a successful casting.

5. Can the volume of a cavity in an iron casting be changed after the casting process has begun?

Once the casting process has begun, it is difficult to change the volume of a cavity in an iron casting. However, if any defects or irregularities are found, they can be repaired or corrected through methods such as grinding, welding, or adding additional material. It is important to carefully plan and measure the volume of the cavity before beginning the casting process.