Volume of Revolution Problem: Finding the Volume of a Solid of Revolution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
G01
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,709
Reaction score
19
Find the volume created by revolving:
[tex]y=x^2 +x - 2[/tex]

and y=0 about the x axis.

[tex]y=x^2 +x - 2[/tex] intersects the x-axis at -1 and 1 so those are the bounds of integration.

the radius of the figure = -([tex]y=x^2 +x - 2[/tex])

so:

V = [tex]- \pi \int_{-1}^1 (x^2 + x - 2)^2 dx[/tex]

After integrating that I get 18[tex]\pi[/tex]/5. The actual answer is 81[tex]\pi[/tex]/10. What I want to know is if i set the integral up right. If I did then this is only a stupid integration mistake. If not then I hope someone finds my mistake. Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
[tex]y=x^2 +x - 2[/tex] intersects the x-axis at -1 and 1 so those are the bounds of integration.
You may want to check that again :smile:
Fix this, and you'll find the given answer.