1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of tetrahedron when you are given four planes

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find volume of tetrahedron that is bounded between 4 planes.
    Planes are

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I found four points where planes meet. These are:

From that I made vectors AB, AC, AD and then I put that into [tex]\vec{a}[/tex][tex]\ast[/tex]([tex]\vec{b}[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{c}[/tex]) and got that volume of parallelepiped is 4. From there I got that volume of this tetrahedron is 2/3. Is this the correct and shortest way to get a solution? My teacher said that I can use formula V=B*v/3 but I don't know where to use it.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't tell you where you would use B= B*v/2 since you haven't said what B or v mean in that formula!
  4. Nov 29, 2007 #3
    Sorry. That's Croatian notation. I think american would be Volume=1/3*B*h where B is area of the base and h is height of tetrahedron. I can calculate h from formula for distance between point where first three planes intersect and the fourth plane. I don't know how to calculate area of the base. Is it correct that volume of this tetrahedron is 2/3?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can choose any 3 of the 4 vertices to be a triangular base. A quick way of finding the area is to construct vectors [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] from one of the vertices to the other two. Then the area of the base, the triangle, is [itex]B= (1/2)|\vec{u}\times\vec{v}|[/itex]. The height of the distance from the fourth point to the plane defined by the first three points.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. Sep 22, 2011 #5

You can find out the volume by this formula but it is difficult to calculate the determinant of a 4*4 matrix
  7. Sep 22, 2011 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@borovcm Don't put tex tags around every expression. Type whatever equations would nicely fit on one line and put the tags around that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?