1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes at C and D in a Carnot cycle

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Carnot cycle, shown in Fig. 20-7, has the following conditions: Va = 7.5 L, Vb = 15 L, TH = 470°C, and TL = 260°C. The gas used in the cycle is 0.50 mil of a diatomic gas, y = 1.4. Calculate (a) the pressures at a and b; (b) the volumes at c and d. (The rest of the problem...)

2. Relevant equations
    PVy = Constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already solved part (a), with Pa = 4.1 x 105 Pa and Pb = 2.1 x 105 Pa.

For part (b), I tried
    PVy = constant
    nRT⋅Vy-1 = constant.

Annnnd then I get lost. I don't understand what constant represents or if I am even on the right track. The book says Vc = 34 L and Vd = 17 L.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What do the points a, b, c, and d represent in the Carnot cycle? You didn't post the figure.

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    My apologies, here is the figure:

n1723o.png

Points a, b, c, and d represent stages of the Carnot engine as it works.

5. Jun 8, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For an adiabatic process, you have ##PV^\gamma = \text{constant}##. Since points b and c are on the same adiabat, you can say that ##P_b V_b^\gamma = P_c V_c^\gamma##.

If it still seems confusing, consider the analogous situation for an isothermal process. The righthand side of the ideal gas law, ##PV = nRT##, is constant for an isothermal process. In other words, on an isotherm, we have that ##PV = \text{constant}##. Points a and b are on the same isotherm, so you can say ##P_a V_a = P_b V_b##, which should look very familiar to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted