1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of solids of revolution with infinity

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the infinite region in the first quadrant between the curve y=e^-5x and the x-axis.
    Find area= 1/5 (got this part)
    Compute the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis:
    Compute the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the y-axis:

2. The attempt at a solution
    I do not understand how to do the last two parts. I tried to do
    dV=base*height
    dV=pi*x^2*dy

because area of circle is

base= pi*x^2
    leaving me with
    dv= pi*x^2*(-1/5e^(-5x)
    and taking limit from 0 to inifity by taking limit from 0 to b, but i am not understanding how to get the answer. Please advise. I am so lost. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis, you now integrate perpendicular to the axis of revolution (dy). It's not all that easy to express ##x^2## in y, but you do need it then.

What would you write down if you integrated parallel to the axis of revolution (i.e. integrate over dx) ?

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the choice of disks or shells and also the choice of dx or dy elements. That should be your first decision. Since ##y## is given in terms of ##x##, you will find using ##dx## elements to be most convenient. So, first question:

Revolving about the ##x## axis using ##dx## element, would you be using disks or shells? What is the corresponding dV?

Same questions for about the ##y## axis using a ##dx## element.

Show us those dV elements. The rest will be easy.

5. Mar 23, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Over to Lynn (bedtime for me...)

6. Mar 23, 2014 #5
    for rotation about the x-axis, would it be
    v=∫ (0 to infinity) of (2∏*x*e^-5x)dx?
    since im using washers, since the vertical stick is horizontal to axis of rotation?

im getting the answer as 2/25 pi which, for some reason is the answer to the rotation about the y axis, and not the x? Can you tell me why?

i still cannot get the x-axis one, and i dont understand why the y axis one is correct.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  7. Mar 23, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ##x## factor in your integral is the distance of the vertical element from the ##y## axis. So ##2\pi x## is the distance around the ##y## axis and the ##e^{-5x}## is the height of the element. ##dx## is the thickness. So you have height*circumference*thickness of the shell revolving about the ##y## axis. You are getting the ##y## axis number because that is the integral you set up.

Now, going around the ##x## axis, using disks, what do you get?

8. Mar 23, 2014 #7
    is is simply v=integral(pi*e^-5x)dx to set up?

9. Mar 23, 2014 #8
    or would i have to square the inside of the integral making the inside e^-10x?

got answer as pi/10, but honestly I guessed. Did I set my integral up correctly? I still dont understand if I had to square it, or if I squared correctly. (If the integral I wrote on this post is correct, then I understand)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  10. Mar 23, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remembering that the area of a disk of radius ##r## is ##\pi r^2##, does that give you a hint about your guess? So ##dV## would be ##(\pi r^2 \cdot \text{thickness})##.

11. Mar 23, 2014 #10
    i think im getting confused with powers for some reason. could you clear something up? when you have something like e^x^2. Is that the same as e^2x? Well, I guess it's not. But is there some way you can rewrite the e^x^2 as an easier power?

12. Mar 24, 2014 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Like ##(4^3)^2 = 4^3 \times 4^3 = 4^{3+3}## you write ## (e^y)^2 = e^y \times e^y = e^{y+y} = e^{2y}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted