Want to Join Our Postcard Club? Here's How!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Borek
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
322 replies · 37K views
Kurdt said:
It seems my post office didn't have the new set of stamps that woolie seems to have had. I did manage to squeeze and old picture stamp out for you.

In America, they have the 1200 or so stamps out on display in jewelery store type cases. It's almost like going to the mall.
I think the philately hobby in America may have been the inspiration for the junk bond market.

Print up a worthless piece of pretty paper. Make as many as you can. Make them believe that it is a worthwhile financial endeavor. There are suckers that will buy them ad absurdum. (emphasis on the dum)

I became addicted at the ripe old age of 8 and decided it was a rip off by the time I was 15.

But it's a great way to see the world and see funny languages.

It came in handy one day when I was angry at someone just about a year ago and told him: "Your mother sews dirty socks in Switzerland!"

Fortunately, he was from Amman Jordan and I bet on the fact that he'd never seen SNL, The Exorcist, and didn't know that Helvetia was an old name for Switzerland.

ah ha! Just relearned something: Confœderatio Helvetica is the reason Switzerland's postal code is still CH!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
No binz, it's a postcard of the tram system in P-town...


Dammit YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT!
 
binzing said:
Dammit YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT!

Yes. :wink:

Just PM me your address. I'll send you a rubber stamp with some inane message from Binzing, so you just have to address, stamp, and stamp the cards, and put them in the mail.

How's this:

"Hola from Mexico!

I'm still alive and kicking.

Binz

ps. PF rules!"​

And yes, you'll also be getting a pic of the p-tram. I bought a dozen. And thank you for the nickname; p-tram. It's most fitting.

and last but not least, I figured out what "schrijven zegt meer" means; "writing(or letters?) says more"
My dutch is much worse than my deutsch.
 
The German is pretty close to the Dutch Om. Just remember that Dutch is a bit like American English. :wink:

*Hides from everyone especially Andre*
 
Kurdt said:
The German is pretty close to the Dutch Om. Just remember that Dutch is a bit like American English. :wink:

*Hides from everyone especially Andre*

Oh my. I can hear a post card being torn to pieces halfway around the world. :eek:
 
Kurdt said:
The German is pretty close to the Dutch Om. Just remember that Dutch is a bit like American English. :wink:

*Hides from everyone especially Andre*

:smile:

Well the Frisians here are sure that culture and language started in Frisia, hence Dutch is a Frisian dialect, like German. Note also that the best (highest) German (Hoch Deutsch) is only spoken in Switzerland.
 
OmCheeto said:
Yes. :wink:

Just PM me your address. I'll send you a rubber stamp with some inane message from Binzing, so you just have to address, stamp, and stamp the cards, and put them in the mail.

How's this:

"Hola from Mexico!

I'm still alive and kicking.

Binz

ps. PF rules!"​

And yes, you'll also be getting a pic of the p-tram. I bought a dozen. And thank you for the nickname; p-tram. It's most fitting.

and last but not least, I figured out what "schrijven zegt meer" means; "writing(or letters?) says more"
My dutch is much worse than my deutsch.

Just reminded of one of my favourite songs at the moment for some reason (wish I could imbed youtube like everyone else can!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt said:
Just reminded of one of my favourite songs at the moment for some reason (wish I could imbed youtube like everyone else can!)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZX_3J_Ykk

Just stick this -fZX_3J_Ykk (from the end of the url) in between youtube tags (youtube and /youtube in square brackets of course). :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt said:
(wish I could imbed youtube like everyone else can!)

In addition to that, Fuzzy, whenever you see a trick like that in whatever post, perhaps hit the "quote" button and see how it is done.

Perhaps Greg can make a youtube button.
 
Andre said:
Perhaps Greg can make a youtube button.

There is one: It looks like a TV and is next to the eye.
 
Just to make it clear: I know how to post youtube clips. But posting proper code without posting a clip is much harder :biggrin:
 
thanks Kurdt and Andre and Borek, and I think that was really clever Borek.:smile::smile::smile:
But you may rue helping me, I will have to post more songs now!
 
Om - your postcard is here :smile:

Definitely something changed, I got mail at least two times this week.

Still, some issues if SciaAm seem to be missing.
 
Happy days, i have your card Hypatia thanks, that is four now, all displayed on my mantle.
 
Wow , they must of sent it by high speed jet boat! I'm glad it arrived.
 
hypatia said:
Wow , they must of sent it by high speed jet boat! I'm glad it arrived.


It is strange, i mean , how the sent cards arrive but the unsent one's do not, there must be some law that says, buy post card ,wright on it, buy stamp and post it ,and one may get it some time :confused::devil:
Way over complicated for some people i guess.
 
wolram said:
..how the sent cards arrive but the unsent one's do not,...

Indeed a mystery, begging for an explanation. :biggrin::wink:
 
Sadly none of cards I sent arrived yet. While I don't expect those intercontinental to reach the destination before Christmas '09, those incontinental should be much faster :frown:
 
Borek said:
Sadly none of cards I sent arrived yet. While I don't expect those intercontinental to reach the destination before Christmas '09, those incontinental should be much faster :frown:

My sympathy Borek, we don't blame you.
 
Looks like Poland would be an excellent place to set up a mail company. There seems to be zero competition.
 
Kurdt said:
Looks like Poland would be an excellent place to set up a mail company. There seems to be zero competition.

Yes and no. There is a competition, however, so far they concentrate on easy targets - huge cities. I am living in Marki, not in Warsaw. And while I am less then 150 meters from the city border, I am definitely not in Warsaw, so Inpost (AFAIK most important company competing with Poczta Polska) doesn't deliver mail here.
 
Borek said:
Om - your postcard is here :smile:

Definitely something changed, I got mail at least two times this week.

Still, some issues if SciaAm seem to be missing.

Hooray!

I was going to recommend that you do as we do at work and use one of the remailing services.

When we have more than 100 pieces of mail to go to a country, we send them to DHL and they charge us a lesser price per piece.

I think we would have to be creative in your case and have everyone who wants to send you a card from America, send their card to Hypatia. Hypatia would then FedEx all the cards to you.

Might be a bit spendy.

How is Fedex service in Polska?
 
wolram said:
It is strange, i mean , how the sent cards arrive but the unsent one's do not, there must be some law that says, buy post card ,wright on it, buy stamp and post it ,and one may get it some time :confused::devil:
Way over complicated for some people i guess.
:cry: I haven't even managed to pick up my mail yet.
 
Hypatia, I loved your halloween-themed postcard. Thank you so much! :)
 
Evo said:
:cry: I haven't even managed to pick up my mail yet.

I sent you a postcard, Evo.
 
OmCheeto said:
I think we would have to be creative in your case and have everyone who wants to send you a card from America, send their card to Hypatia. Hypatia would then FedEx all the cards to you.

Right now problem is not with cards sent to me, but with cards sent by me. Four cards arrived here, eight of those sent by me are still in transit.

How is Fedex service in Polska?

No idea I am not using it. For sure they are on the market.
 
Glad you liked it MIH, it came from The Henry Ford museum.
 
Borek, i got your card today, thanks, i have five now :biggrin:
 
Good, they are on the move :smile: Strange that Andre didn't get his one first, one may think he is in the same direction, just closer.