Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News War on drugs failing, research suggests

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/01/world/war-on-drugs-failing/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Can anyone find the original study article? [edit: linked on post 3]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Hardly a surprise. The surprise will be if anything is done about it.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Here's the article:
    http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/9/e003077.abstract?sid=0454e683-f092-4ab4-bd5c-c531558e96fa

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From a health and safety perspective, is purer drugs actually a bad thing? My limited impression has been that a reasonable amount of the danger of taking drugs is that they mix the actual drug with random other crap to save money, and that random other crap can be dangerous as well.

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5

Ryan_m_b

That's pretty much the biggest danger of many drugs. Things like ecstasy, cannabis and other soft drugs aren't very harmful by themselves, or at least are way less harmful than the legal drugs we already have.

7. Oct 1, 2013 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I cannot believe this comment has been allowed to stand! You guys need to moderate your comments.

8. Oct 2, 2013 #7
    I don't think there is a single country where ecstasy is in "soft drugs" category, and don't believe that something that causes such violent rush of serotonin in your brain can be harmless. But I absolutely agree that increase in purity should be counted as +.

9. Oct 2, 2013 #8
    Failing for whom? Most of us, to be sure, but those private prisons filled with extremely low-wage workers surely benefit someone!

10. Oct 2, 2013 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is it about the truth that needs moderation? Do you think cigarettes and alcohol are harmless? Do you think they are not drugs?

11. Oct 2, 2013 #10

Borek

Makes me think about side effects of impurities in krokodil. To quote wikipedia:

On another forum we have an interesting discussion about possible impurities behind these effects.

As much as I dislike the idea of drugs being available on the streets, if they are there, I prefer them to be pure.

12. Oct 2, 2013 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Oct 2, 2013 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"The global war on drugs is failing" -- I disagree with that. The problem is the word "is".

The global war on drugs failed a long time ago. The war on drugs has succeeded, but what it has successfully accomplished is not anywhere close to the intended result. It has succeeded in that it has fostered the creation of extremely powerful, extremely wealthy, and utterly ruthless multinational criminal organizations. The mob organizations helped along by the US experiment with prohibiting alcohol pale in comparison to these new drug rings. It has succeeded in creating a vast number of criminals. The US is a prison state thanks to the war on drugs.

I am not saying that mind-altering drugs are harmless. They are not harmless. There is a cost to society in the very use of these drugs. There is, however, an even greater cost in criminalizing the use, sale, and production of these drugs. The cost to society of the war on drugs is extremely high, and because it has not worked, the benefits are rather low.

14. Oct 2, 2013 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yep. That seems to be the way we do things in the USA. Sheer ignorance and/or willful stupidity.

15. Oct 2, 2013 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

"Danbury wasn't a prison, it was a crime school. I went in with a Bachelor of marijuana, came out with a Doctorate of cocaine."

16. Oct 2, 2013 #15
    I don't think that the death rate is a good measure of the danger of a drug. Long-term effects on the brain should also be accounted for. Regular use of cannabis and MDMA have consequences on the brain: Long-term effects of cannabis, long-term effects of MDMA. I support decriminalizing drug use though, but not decriminalizing drug selling. In Portugal every drug consumption is decriminalized (selling is criminalized though, and the sentences are heavy for selling hard drugs) since 1999 and there hasn't been any problems with it.
    Regular use of alcohol and tobacco also have negative long-term effects as we all know, so those drugs should at least be equally classified as cannabis is.

17. Oct 2, 2013 #16

Astronuc

No endorsement expressed or implied.

It's best not to ingest illegal drugs or controlled substances without prescription and appropriate medical supervision.

18. Oct 2, 2013 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would not say they aren't harmful. Ecstasy has been linked to suicide -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3152632/

Personal note: I'm unfortunately familiar with this issue because a family member -- who absolutely loved ecstasy and did it often -- committed suicide.

19. Nov 12, 2013 #18
    Excellent! Perhaps something will finally be done about it.

Just as the prohibition was entirely unsuccessful in its endeavor, so will our generation's crusade be unsuccessful. People should be free to ingest whatever herbs or chemicals they want, so long as they do so without putting others at risk.

Yes -- drugs have harmful effects at times and CAN put other people at risk. This is why there are laws that make driving drunk illegal. The same could be instituted to make the world a safer place, if drugs were legal.

But as the current system stands the government is literally ensuring the existence of drug cartels, as making something illegal which is in high demand only makes it extremely profitable to be the supplier.

We ought to focus on education and voluntary direction rather than brute force through the hand of the state.

20. Nov 12, 2013 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It depends on the drug. Some drugs are, themselves, lethal, so purity is a health issue (like moonshine making you blind). Some drugs, like alcohol, cause people to engage in more risky behavior, so they are a safety problem. Other drugs have dirty manufacturing processes so that more pure means less byproduct, such as happened often with drugs like MPPP (the impurity, MPTP, is known to cause a variant of parkinson's disease.)

21. Nov 12, 2013 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook