1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Was it a mistake

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    All my life I thought I will be a math teacher (high school). And, then the very last minute I changed, and last week I started my first year studies at the University in the Electrical Engineering Program, did I make a mistake?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2
    How on earth could anyone know that?
  4. Sep 14, 2005 #3
    I suppose it could be a mistake if that's still what you want to do, but if EE is something that interests you, go for it.
  5. Sep 14, 2005 #4
    If you get a degree in electric engineering, I'm sure you know plenty of math so you could teach in high school, too.
  6. Sep 14, 2005 #5
    If it's what you want to do, than great! If not, than it will be a good field, and if you still want to be a teacher in highschool; I am sure you would find a mathematics teaching position at a highschool.
  7. Sep 14, 2005 #6
    probably that might happen, the only thing is I will have to go 1 extra year to teacher's college.
  8. Sep 14, 2005 #7
    Try it out! Remember, you live only once, no sense in wondering what life would have been like, later on, had you majored in EE. Also, you will probably change your major a few times anyway, don't worry about it: College, imo, is about finding out what you want to do for the rest of your life. Trial and error may not seem like a good option, but it is the only way. Personally, I started out as a physics major, then math education, then pure math, and now back to math education.
  9. Sep 14, 2005 #8
    My calculus teacher in high school was a literature major. I think you'll do fine as an EE...

10. Sep 14, 2005 #9
    Which would you rather do, take an extra year to do what you love more, or never do what you want to do, and waste the rest of your life....

My sister did something similar, don't worry, it happens to a lot of people.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?