Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Washing machine motor soap extruder

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    Hello

I am trying to start a small home business making soap. I am on a really tight budget and also very new to the extrusion process.

While I may be extruding soap, I understand that the process is very similar to plastic extrusion.

I want to extrude soap bars using a machine similar to the soap extruder on this website

http://soaptec.biz/products_dp_finesextruder.html

However I am trying to make this as cheaply as possible.

I plan on buying a screw and barrel and then fabricating the rest of the machine myself.

I am thinking of using a washing machine motor to drive the screw.

Could you please advise me on the viability of this?

What size screw and barrel would I need to order from the supplier? I was told that a 30mm or 40mm screw would be best, a 100mm screw would require too much power and would be too expensive.

Would a washing machine motor be suitable?

The manufacturer of the screw and barrel asked me what power motor would be used and what are the gear ratios. What should I tell him? I have not told him that I plan to use a machine motor :rofl:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    Tell him the power of the motor and what rpm you plan on running the screw at...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook