Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Salvaged Washing Machine Motor to Power Chicken Plucker

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    006.JPG 007.JPG Hi Folks, I came across this knowledgeable site through Google.

What I am trying to do is use a salvaged Whirlpool 2 speed washing machine motor to power a chicken plucker I an making. The original switch crapped out on me and I am now trying to wire the motor directly to a simple on/off switch.

Can someone please help me with the electrical? I have seven wires going into the motor. What will my wiring schematic be to go to a simple on/off power switch. If possible the slow speed would be best for my application.

I have attached the wiring diagram for the washer and a photo of the motor.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2
    A few pics of the project itself. 006.JPG 001.JPG 008.JPG 018.JPG

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is your level of experience working with electricity? Are you aware of the safety rules for working with AC Mains voltages (like NEC and UL rules)?

Great thread title, BTW...

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4
    I have limited knowledge but have colleagues who are trained in such who is doing the wiring for me They are just not familiar with this specific wiring configuration and requested I get some opinions.

6. Sep 29, 2016 #5

berkeman

How are they wiring up a fuse and doing the Earth grounding for safety?

7. Sep 29, 2016 #6
    I may be wrong but I assume that it will be grounded through the 3 prong plug. I don't think they got anywhere with looking at it yet

8. Sep 29, 2016 #7

berkeman

Whelp, we don't give out advice that could get people hurt or start a fire. Please have one of your electrical friends PM me with their background and how they will meet UL rules for safety in wiring this up. Thread is closed until that happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook