Salvaged Washing Machine Motor to Power Chicken Plucker

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
OS_Dad
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
006.JPG
007.JPG
Hi Folks, I came across this knowledgeable site through Google.

What I am trying to do is use a salvaged Whirlpool 2 speed washing machine motor to power a chicken plucker I an making. The original switch crapped out on me and I am now trying to wire the motor directly to a simple on/off switch.

Can someone please help me with the electrical? I have seven wires going into the motor. What will my wiring schematic be to go to a simple on/off power switch. If possible the slow speed would be best for my application.

I have attached the wiring diagram for the washer and a photo of the motor.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is your level of experience working with electricity? Are you aware of the safety rules for working with AC Mains voltages (like NEC and UL rules)?

Great thread title, BTW...
 
I have limited knowledge but have colleagues who are trained in such who is doing the wiring for me They are just not familiar with this specific wiring configuration and requested I get some opinions.
 
OS_Dad said:
I have limited knowledge but have colleagues who are trained in such who is doing the wiring for me They are just not familiar with this specific wiring configuration and requested I get some opinions.
How are they wiring up a fuse and doing the Earth grounding for safety?
 
I may be wrong but I assume that it will be grounded through the 3 prong plug. I don't think they got anywhere with looking at it yet
 
Whelp, we don't give out advice that could get people hurt or start a fire. Please have one of your electrical friends PM me with their background and how they will meet UL rules for safety in wiring this up. Thread is closed until that happens.