Water bubble inside a microchannel

In summary, the bubble moves when the pressure on one side is increased. The bubble will move if the pressure on one side is increased to 140 dyn/cm^2.
Excom
Hi

I need to calculate the force needed to move a water bubble inside a microchannel. Initially, the bubble is at rest and then the air pressure is increased on one side of the bubble.

I am new in microfluidic and need some help about where to start in order to solve this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi
i didn't understand for you
can you tall us whether more,please
thanks

I have a water bubble inside at microchannel. There is air on both sides of the bubble. I then increase the air pressure on one side of the bubble. The air pressure on the other sides is not changed. How much do I have to increase the pressure before the bubble starts to move?

This is a great question! I'm not sure I have an answer, but let's see..

What are forces involved? We can ignore gravity. So it's really wetting: the air/water/glass common line must move in order for the bubble to move. Now, wetting is not understood and there are a lot of microscopic models that have been proposed, but macroscopically, we can maybe estimate:

Young's equation relates the contact angle and interfacial energies. To make the text here easier, let's assume the contact angle is 90 degrees (It's not, but you can work this out later). The air-water interfacial energy is 70 dyn/cm, so multiply this by the circumference of the bubble and you have a certain force to overcome in order to move the contact line. Now, if the glass surface is dirty or otherwise rough all bets are off, but for now, let's just consider the surface to be clean, flat, chemically homogeneous, etc. And I've neglected the air-glass and water-glass interfacial energies.

Then the required pressure difference will be 2*70*2*pi*r/(2*pi*r^2)= 140/r dyn/cm^2. As the channel size goes down, r decreases, requiring a larger pressure difference- that agrees with reality, at least.

It's fairly easy to measure- try it out and see how well it agrees, I'm curious.

for reaching out for help with your microfluidic problem. The movement of a water bubble inside a microchannel can be calculated using the principles of fluid mechanics and pressure differentials. The force required to move the bubble will depend on several factors such as the size of the bubble, the dimensions of the microchannel, and the properties of the fluid being used.

To start, you will need to determine the pressure differential that needs to be applied to the bubble in order to move it. This can be calculated using the Young-Laplace equation, which relates the pressure inside a bubble to its surface tension and curvature. You will also need to consider the frictional forces acting on the bubble as it moves through the microchannel.

Once you have determined the necessary pressure differential, you can then use the Navier-Stokes equations to calculate the force required to move the bubble. These equations describe the motion of a fluid and can be solved numerically using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software.

It is important to note that the behavior of bubbles in microchannels can be complex and may require additional considerations such as surface tension gradients and wall effects. Therefore, it is recommended to consult with an expert in microfluidics or use specialized simulation software to accurately model the movement of the bubble.

I hope this information helps guide you in solving your problem. Good luck with your research!

1. What causes water bubbles to form inside a microchannel?

Water bubbles can form inside a microchannel due to a variety of factors, including surface tension, pressure differences, and temperature changes. When the surface tension of water is high enough, it can overcome the pressure and form bubbles. In addition, pressure differences in the microchannel can also lead to the formation of bubbles, as well as changes in temperature that affect the solubility of gases in the water.

2. How do water bubbles affect the flow of liquid inside a microchannel?

Water bubbles can significantly impact the flow of liquid inside a microchannel. They can cause disruptions in the flow, leading to changes in pressure and velocity, and even blockages. This can affect the performance and efficiency of microfluidic devices that rely on precise flow control. In addition, the presence of bubbles can also affect the accuracy of measurements taken within the microchannel.

3. Can water bubbles be controlled or prevented in microchannels?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to control or prevent the formation of water bubbles in microchannels. These include the use of surface treatments to reduce surface tension, adjusting the pressure and temperature conditions, and introducing surfactants to stabilize the bubbles. In addition, proper design and fabrication of microchannels can also help minimize the formation of bubbles.

4. How do water bubbles impact the accuracy of experiments conducted in microchannels?

The presence of water bubbles in microchannels can significantly affect the accuracy of experiments. Bubbles can cause changes in pressure, velocity, and flow rate, which can impact the reliability of experimental results. In addition, bubbles can also cause disturbances in the flow that may affect the behavior of particles or cells being studied in the microchannel, leading to inaccurate data.

5. Can water bubbles be removed from microchannels?

Yes, water bubbles can be removed from microchannels using various techniques. These include adjusting the pressure and temperature conditions, using acoustic or electric fields to manipulate the bubbles, and physically removing them with microtools. In addition, some microfluidic devices are designed with built-in bubble traps to remove bubbles before they enter the main channel.