Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave functions and magnetic fields

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    Can anyone explain why these two field patterns are so similar?

The (3,2,1) hydrogen wave function, and this pattern generated from a magnet on a CRT. (attached to post)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They are nowhere similar. Did you check the mathematics? Besides the fact that they look different to me, there is a PHASE information in the hydrogen wavefunction that isn't shown in the intensity plot! That's what the "+" and "-" are for!

Besides, even if they "look" similar, what's the whole point in all of this? There's no room for "coincidence"?

Zz.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    I don't know, that's why I was asking you.. Why do they look similar?

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They don't look similar. You ignored completely the first part of my response. I'm done!

Zz.

6. Feb 4, 2009 #5
    sorry.

I think they are very similar, visually.. But I'm also wondering if the 'field patterns' are also similar at a fundamental level.

Not yet. I'm not sure where to start.
    I was hoping someone could explain the visual similarities (which you don't see) in layman's terms.

7. Feb 7, 2009 #6
    Any more thoughts on this? I know I'm not the only one who can see visual similarities between the above images.

8. Feb 8, 2009 #7
    Would the field patterns on the CRT change if the magnet was cooled to absolute zero, or heated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?