Wave functions and magnetic fields

In summary, two field patterns, the (3,2,1) hydrogen wave function and the pattern generated from a magnet on a CRT, are being compared for similarities. While one person sees visual similarities, another points out the lack of similarity and the presence of phase information in the hydrogen wave function. The question arises whether the field patterns are similar at a fundamental level and if the temperature of the magnet would affect the CRT pattern. The discussion also brings up the importance of considering mathematics in this comparison.
nuby
Can anyone explain why these two field patterns are so similar?

The (3,2,1) hydrogen wave function, and this pattern generated from a magnet on a CRT. (attached to post)

Attachments

• magnet_crt.jpg
    magnet_crt.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 478
  • hydrogen321.jpg
    hydrogen321.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 600px-D3M1.jpg
    600px-D3M1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are nowhere similar. Did you check the mathematics? Besides the fact that they look different to me, there is a PHASE information in the hydrogen wavefunction that isn't shown in the intensity plot! That's what the "+" and "-" are for!

Besides, even if they "look" similar, what's the whole point in all of this? There's no room for "coincidence"?

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Besides, even if they "look" similar, what's the whole point in all of this? There's no room for "coincidence"?

Zz.

I don't know, that's why I was asking you.. Why do they look similar?

nuby said:
I don't know, that's why I was asking you.. Why do they look similar?

They don't look similar. You ignored completely the first part of my response. I'm done!

Zz.

sorry.

ZapperZ said:
They are nowhere similar.
I think they are very similar, visually.. But I'm also wondering if the 'field patterns' are also similar at a fundamental level.

Did you check the mathematics?
Not yet. I'm not sure where to start.
Besides the fact that they look different to me, there is a PHASE information in the hydrogen wavefunction that isn't shown in the intensity plot! That's what the "+" and "-" are for!
I was hoping someone could explain the visual similarities (which you don't see) in layman's terms.

Any more thoughts on this? I know I'm not the only one who can see visual similarities between the above images.

Would the field patterns on the CRT change if the magnet was cooled to absolute zero, or heated?

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of a system in quantum mechanics. It represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a specific state at a given time.

How are wave functions used in the study of magnetic fields?

Wave functions are used to describe the behavior of particles in the presence of a magnetic field. They allow us to calculate the energy levels and wave-like properties of particles such as electrons in a magnetic field.

What is the relationship between wave functions and magnetic fields?

Wave functions and magnetic fields are closely related. The wave function of a particle is affected by the presence of a magnetic field, and the behavior of the particle can be described using the magnetic field's properties.

Can wave functions be used to predict the behavior of magnetic fields?

No, wave functions cannot be used to directly predict the behavior of magnetic fields. They are used to describe the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, but other equations and principles are needed to predict the behavior of the magnetic field itself.

How do magnetic fields affect wave functions?

Magnetic fields can affect wave functions in various ways. They can cause the wave function to change in space and time, alter the energy levels of the particle, and affect the shape and orientation of the wave function.