1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave mechanics: the adjoint of a hamiltonian

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The operator Q satisfies the two equations

[tex]Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}=0[/tex] , [tex]QQ^{\dagger}+Q^{\dagger}Q=1[/tex]

The hamiltonian for a system is

[tex] H= \alpha*QQ^{\dagger}[/tex],

Show that H is self-adjoint

b) find an expression for [tex]H^2[/tex] , the square of H , in terms of H.

c)Find the eigenvalues of H allowed by the result from part(b) .

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a real constant

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]QQ^{\dagger}=1-Q^{\dagger}Q[/tex]

[tex]H=\alpha*QQ^{\dagger}=\alpha*(1-Q^{\dagger}Q)[/tex]

self adjoint of an operator

[tex](Q^{\dagger}\varphi,\phi)=(\varphi,Q\phi)[/tex] Should I take the conjugate of the operator H?

b)[tex]H^2=(\alpha)*(1-Q^{\dagger}Q)(\alpha)*(1-Q^{\dagger}Q)=(\alpha)^2*(1-Q^{\dagger}Q-Q^{\dagger}Q+Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}QQ.) [/tex] since [tex]Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}=0 [/tex] then the expression for H^2 is : [tex]H^2=(\alpha)^2*(1-Q^{\dagger}Q-Q^{\dagger}Q=(\alpha)^2(1-2*Q^{\dagger}Q)[/tex]. Now what?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    a) any operator of the form [itex]cQQ^\dagger, c \in R[/itex], is self-adjoint. You don't need to use any other equation to prove this.

b) What does finding an expression for [itex]H^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]H[/itex] mean? [itex]H^2[/itex] is an expression for [itex]H^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]H[/itex].

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    a)show [tex] H=H^{\dagger}[/tex]? if so[tex] H^{\dagger}=((\alpha)QQ^{\dagger})^{\dagger}=QQ^{\dagger}(\alpha)[/tex]

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    What is the adjoint of a product?

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5
    i dunno [tex](PQ)^{\dagger}=Q^{\dagger}P^{\dagger}[/tex]?

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6
    Well, yeah, so you just apply this rule to the definition of H and use the fact that [itex](Q^\dagger)^\dagger=Q[/itex].

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7
    I did that: [tex]
    H^{\dagger}=((\alpha)QQ^{\dagger})^{\dagger}=QQ^{\dagger}(\alpha)
    [/tex]

9. Sep 15, 2009 #8
    So did I apply the rule correctly? Hope there is no hard feelings

10. Sep 16, 2009 #9
    er... bump! I am having trouble with part b) [tex]H^2=HH=(\alpha)QQ^{\dagger}*(\alpha)QQ^{\dagger}=(\alpha)^2*Q^{\dagger}Q(1-QQ^{\dagger})=(\alpha)^2*(Q^{\dagger}Q-QQ^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}Q[/tex]. Using the fact that [tex]Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}=0[/tex] [tex]H^2[/tex] the equals: [tex] H^2=(\alpha)^2*(Q^{\dagger}Q)[/tex]; Shouldn't [tex](Q^{\dagger}Q)[/tex] be squared?

c) [tex]H*\varphi=E*\varphi[/tex] ; Not sure how to finish this problem.

11. Sep 16, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't this be [itex]H^2=\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}(1-Q^{\dagger}Q)[/itex]?

12. Sep 16, 2009 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

noblegas: you need to pay more careful attention to non-commutativity. You seem to be randomly swapping [itex]Q Q^\dagger[/itex] with [itex]Q^\dagger Q[/itex] in your expressions... and in general that is simply not allowed when working with operators.

You should not be surprised to see Q behaving degenerately -- that's one of the big things that the identity [itex]Q^\dagger Q^\dagger = 0[/itex] tells you!

I don't know if it will help your intuition or not, but that means [itex]Q^\dagger[/itex] will, heuristically speaking, behave something like an "infinitessimal" number whose square is negligible.

Now, rather than doing things haphazardly, you can try and systematically rewrite equations. The original identities say that [itex]Q^\dagger Q^\dagger[/itex] is trivial, and that [itex]\{ Q Q^\dagger, Q^\dagger Q \}[/itex] is a linearly dependent set. (What about [itex]QQ[/itex]?) It might help if you can decide upon a standard form for any products of Q and [itex]Q^\dagger[/itex], and use these relations to convert any product into the standard form.

13. Sep 16, 2009 #12
    yes. Thats what I meant to write. Nevertheless the second term in the impression goes away.
    . How should I approach the eigenvalue problem? I know that [tex] H*\varphi =E*\varphi ==> \alpha*QQ^{\dagger}*\varphi=E*\varphi[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  14. Sep 16, 2009 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, the second term goes away (since [itex]Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}=0[/itex])....and the first term is____?

15. Sep 16, 2009 #14
    Sorry yahiko, I know matrices don't Commute. I mistakenly wrote down the wrong expression

16. Sep 16, 2009 #15
    [itex]
    H^2=\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}

[/itex]

that can't be right because the [tex] QQ^{\dagger} [/tex] is not squared

17. Sep 16, 2009 #16

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would the [itex]QQ^{\dagger}[/itex] term have to be squared?

Anyways, [itex]H^2=\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}[/itex]....and [itex]\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}=\alpha(\alpha QQ^{\dagger})=\alpha[/itex]__?

18. Sep 16, 2009 #17
    Because [tex] HH=(\alpha)QQ^{\dagger}(\alpha)QQ^{\dagger}[/tex]

19. Sep 16, 2009 #18

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but the conditions [itex]Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}=0[/itex] and [itex]QQ^{\dagger}+Q^{\dagger}Q[/itex] put restrictions on [itex]H[/itex], which allow you to simplify [itex](QQ^{\dagger})^2[/itex] to [itex]\alpha QQ^{\dagger}[/itex]....which is exactly what you've just shown.

It's no different from saying [itex]x^2=1[/itex] when [itex]x=1[/itex].

Anyways, [itex]H^2=\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}=\alpha(\alpha QQ^{\dagger})=\alpha[/itex]__?

20. Sep 16, 2009 #19
    ah! [tex] [itex]
    H^2=\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}(1-Q^{\dagger}Q=(\alpha*H)
    [/itex]

21. Sep 16, 2009 #20

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, [itex]H^2=\alpha H[/itex]....Now use that for part (c).... operate on both sides of your eignvalue equation with [itex]H[/itex]...what do you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook