1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave motion is expressed with trigonometric functions

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1

Bez

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with the following questions:
    -A progessive wave has amplitude 0.40m and wave length 2.0m. At a given times the displacement y=0 at x=0. Calulate the displacement at (a)t=5sec (b) t=0.8sec
    -A progessive wave has amplitude 2.5m and a time period of 10sec. At a given distance the displacement y=0 at t=0. Calulate the displacement at (a)t=0.001sec (b) t=0.003sec

It would be useful if there is a step up step method, which could show how you got to the answer that you got, which therefore means that i would be able to use it for other examples. Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I'm not sure if I can give you an exact answer, but wave motion is expressed with trigonometric functions. If you figure out what the definitions of the amplitude and wave length are, you should be able to construct a time dependent function which will give you the answer.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3

Bez

so i just draw a wave and find the displacement and time using tht?... well i did try tht but it didn't really help much.:cry:

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Did you use an equation of the form [tex]y = A \sin (\omega t - \phi)[/tex]? Something at least similar to that must have been mentioned in your lecture notes, if you're dealing with waves.

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5

Bez

well... we only started the topic therefore we were only taught the equation: f=1/T or T=1/f and v=wavelenght x f.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

Bez

hey whn it comes to drawing the waves---how do u know where the 0.50m or the 1.4m is? as you are just drawing a wave... the amplitude is the displacement right? and the wave has a amplitude of 0.40m:confused:

9. Dec 6, 2006 #8

radou

Homework Helper

The answer to your question is on the link I gave you - all you have to do is read. :wink:

10. Dec 6, 2006 #9

Bez

nope... the site wasn't really useful in solving the question tht i had... u sure it can be used for AS Level Physics for Edxcel Nuffield?

11. Dec 10, 2006 #10

Bez

thanks you letting me know about the site.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?