Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wave Nature of Light - Calculating Wavelength (Double Slit Exp)

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Monochromatic light falls on two very narrow slits 0.046 mm apart. Successive fringes on a screen 5.30 m away are 7.0 cm apart near the center of the pattern. Determine the wavelength of the light to two significant figures.

2. Relevant equations

x2 ≈ Lθ2 = L (2λ) / d

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm guessing the θ is very small so I can assume sin θ ≈ θ in radians. When the problem said the successive fringes were 7.0 cm apart near the center of the pattern, I thought that meant x2 was 7.0 cm above x1.

λ = dx2 / 2L
    λ = (0.07 m)(4.6 *10^-5 m) / (2 * 5.30 m)
    λ = 3.01 * 10^-7 m

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think there is a factor of 2 missing (or too much) somewhere. With the distance d between the slits, two adjacent fringes appear with an angle of ##\alpha \approx \frac{\lambda}{d}## between them.
    In addition: With twice your calculated wavelength, the light is visible.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    I multiplied my answer by "2" and got it correct but I am still unsure why I should have multiplied by "2." Were you stating at 3.01 * 10 ^-7 m light is not visible?

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

That corresponds to 301nm - ultraviolet radiation.

I think you divided by 2, where you shouldn't have done that.

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    It looks like you picked up a wrong formula there. Take a look at 'Young's slits' in Wikipedia.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook