1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Nature of Light - Calculating Wavelength (Double Slit Exp)

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Monochromatic light falls on two very narrow slits 0.046 mm apart. Successive fringes on a screen 5.30 m away are 7.0 cm apart near the center of the pattern. Determine the wavelength of the light to two significant figures.

2. Relevant equations

x2 ≈ Lθ2 = L (2λ) / d

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm guessing the θ is very small so I can assume sin θ ≈ θ in radians. When the problem said the successive fringes were 7.0 cm apart near the center of the pattern, I thought that meant x2 was 7.0 cm above x1.

λ = dx2 / 2L
    λ = (0.07 m)(4.6 *10^-5 m) / (2 * 5.30 m)
    λ = 3.01 * 10^-7 m

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think there is a factor of 2 missing (or too much) somewhere. With the distance d between the slits, two adjacent fringes appear with an angle of ##\alpha \approx \frac{\lambda}{d}## between them.
    In addition: With twice your calculated wavelength, the light is visible.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    I multiplied my answer by "2" and got it correct but I am still unsure why I should have multiplied by "2." Were you stating at 3.01 * 10 ^-7 m light is not visible?

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That corresponds to 301nm - ultraviolet radiation.

I think you divided by 2, where you shouldn't have done that.

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    It looks like you picked up a wrong formula there. Take a look at 'Young's slits' in Wikipedia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook