1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waveform conversion of Analogue to Digital

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    I have an assessment at the moment and one of the questions is about the conversion of an Analogue wave to Digital one. I know how it is graphed and the basic concepts but I have no idea how to express it being forced into a grid. I was wondering if anyone knew any websites or books which has simply information that I am looking for. I have searched the web but must of the stuff I am finding is making no sense to me and continues to involve theories in electronics.

Thank you for any help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2
    Sorry if haven't been so accurate with my information but basically what I need help with is converting an analogue wave to a digital one on a grid.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There are several types of digitization. All involve sampling the waveform at discrete times. The basic method is to take and record values at a regularly spaced time intervals. So, plot the waveform on a grid with the x-axis being time and the y-axis being the waveform value (voltage, current, whatever). Choose a sampling time interval and divide the time axis into regularly spaced intervals. Record the waveform values at the interval boundaries.

A second method second is similar, only for a given sample it records the difference between the previous sample and the current one. There are other methods, which I won't elaborate. Which method you choose depends upon what it is you're trying to accomplish.

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4
    I think I have it right and I just want make sure that I have got my facts correct. What I had to add was 1. forcing curve to fit into grid, 2. Sampling and 3. Converting values to binary notation (each point is worth 1 mark). Thank you for any help given, Cheers!!!

Analogue to Digital Conversion (ADC) works by using a process call quantisation which is the digitising process applied to an analogue signal. The process involves converting the shape of an analogue wave into a stream of numbers which can be represented by the binary code which is made up of 0s and 1s. The analogue wave is forced into a grid which is measured at an equal time interval (ADD THE AXIS’ HERE REGARDING MY EXAMPLE). In an 8-bit process (there is also 16, 32 and 64-bit process) the signal is represented by numbers from 0-7 which are then converted into the binary code using a combination of three 0s and 1s. The sampling is done at a certain amount of times per second. The digital signal which comes from this conversion represents the original analogue wave but in binary code. The accuracy of the digital wave can be improved by decreasing the time between intervals and by using a higher bit process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook