Wavefunction Collapse: Timeline & Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a particle's energy and its wavefunction collapsing into an energy eigenstate when measured. The state will remain in this eigenstate unless it interacts with the outside world. The phase of the state is considered unimportant in the calculation of probability distribution. The discussion also touches on the behavior of photons in terms of remaining in the same state unless disturbed by an interaction with matter or a change in fields or density. The concept of red-shift is also mentioned in relation to the behavior of photons in space.
jewbinson
Simple question.

So the energy of a particle is observed to be E_1 (for example) at time t=0.

At time t=0 the wavefunction psi(x) collapses to phi(x)exp(-i(E_1)t/h). At time t>0 the wavefunction is also in this state (right?). Is it in this state until it interacts with another particle or what? Or does it go into the state phi(x)exp(-i(E_1)t/h) when you observe it but then after it goes back into the state psi(x)? As far as I am aware it collapses into the state phi(x)exp(-i(E_1)t/h) for t=0 and stays in that state (but until when?) for t>0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming no other interactions occur with the outside world, the state will state in the energy eigenstate you measured it in (up to an unimportant phase). This is because once you measure its energy, you force it into an energy eigenstate, which only change their phase when evolved with shrodingers equation

Thanks.

"(up to an unimportant phase)"... it's probably not unimportant is it? But I imagine it's more advanced than what I am studying now which is why you have put it to one side...

You can write any state as [itex]\Psi[/itex]=[itex]\psi[/itex] e, where [itex]\psi[/itex] and α are real. So when you calculate the probability distribution (the thing that is actually phzsically significant) you get [itex]\Psi[/itex]*[itex]\Psi[/itex]=[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]e-iαe=[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]. That is what I mean when I say the phase e is unimportant.

actually, I was wrong, [itex]\psi[/itex] does not need to be real, and in the end zou get [itex]\psi[/itex]*[itex]\psi[/itex]

So photons remain undisturbed (in the same state) if they don't interact with matter? Does "disturbed" include a change of a field or a change in density of an object? Would a photon ejected from a star/galaxy in red-shift relative to Earth traveling freely in space stay in the same state if it does not experience a force? If so, is this what we rely on when measuring red-shift - that the vast majority of photons from a source go through space not interacting with matter or any other field (I imagine the gravitational field has little effect on a photon actually because they have such minute mass)...?

What is the concept of wavefunction collapse?

The concept of wavefunction collapse is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. It refers to the idea that when an observer measures or interacts with a quantum system, the system's wavefunction will collapse into a single state or outcome. This collapse is unpredictable and random, and represents the uncertainty of quantum systems.

How does wavefunction collapse affect the timeline of events?

Wavefunction collapse occurs in an instant, so its effects on the timeline of events are negligible. However, it can have a significant impact on the outcomes of events, as it determines the state in which a quantum system will exist after being measured or observed.

What are the potential consequences of wavefunction collapse?

The consequences of wavefunction collapse are still being studied and debated by scientists. Some theories suggest that it could lead to parallel universes or the existence of multiple realities. Others believe that it is simply a natural aspect of quantum mechanics and has no larger implications.

Can wavefunction collapse be observed or measured?

No, wavefunction collapse itself cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its effects can be observed and measured through experiments and observations of quantum systems. These effects include changes in the probabilities of different outcomes or the appearance of interference patterns.

Is wavefunction collapse a proven concept?

Yes, wavefunction collapse is a well-established concept in quantum mechanics and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations. However, there are still ongoing debates and studies surrounding its exact mechanism and potential implications.