Can Electromagnetic Wavelength Replace Geometrical Length as a Distance Measure?

• Thread starter TrickyDicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using electromagnetic wavelength as a legitimate distance pattern and whether it is acceptable to exchange geometrical length with physical wavelength. It is mentioned that in physical metrology, it is common practice to use electromagnetic radiation as a reference length, but it is unclear if it is physically straightforward to interchange geometrical lengths with wavelengths. The conversation also touches on the use of wavelengths as a time standard and the definition of the speed of light.
TrickyDicky
Could electromagnetic wavelength be used as a legitimate distance pattern? I mean is it OK to exchange geometrical length with physical wavelength? For example, given a bundle of light rays following geodesics in empty space, can the length between a given pair of geodesics be equivalent to a wavelength?
I recall vaguely that the General Conference on Weights and Measures in 1983 adopted as a primary length standard, or reference length, the wavelength of the iodine stabilized HeNe laser,He−Ne = 632.99139822 nm.Thus, in physical metrology seems to be a common practice to use an appropriate wavelength of electromagnetic radiation as the reference length. But I don't know if it is physically straightforward to interchange geometrical lengths with wavelengths as in switching in a given Physics formula the wavelength with an equivalent geometrical length.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are devices that count wavelength cycles to determine distance (moved) for very precise measurements.

I understand wavelengths are interchangeable with lengths in every physical situation.
Anyone thinks otherwise?

Lengths are lengths. If doesn't matter what the length measures.

TrickyDicky said:
Could electromagnetic wavelength be used as a legitimate distance pattern? I mean is it OK to exchange geometrical length with physical wavelength? For example, given a bundle of light rays following geodesics in empty space, can the length between a given pair of geodesics be equivalent to a wavelength?
I recall vaguely that the General Conference on Weights and Measures in 1983 adopted as a primary length standard, or reference length, the wavelength of the iodine stabilized HeNe laser,He−Ne = 632.99139822 nm.Thus, in physical metrology seems to be a common practice to use an appropriate wavelength of electromagnetic radiation as the reference length. But I don't know if it is physically straightforward to interchange geometrical lengths with wavelengths as in switching in a given Physics formula the wavelength with an equivalent geometrical length.

Thanks
It's not clear what you are asking; electromagnetic radiation is used as a *time* standard, not a length standard (frequency vs. wavelength). However, because 'c_0' is a constant, it's possible to think of the meter being standardized in terms of a wavelength as well- as long as you mean wavelength in vacuum, or otherwise correct for the index of refraction.

That said, 'length' is 'length'... I don't understand what you mean by 'geometric' length vs. 'physical' length. Certainly, it's possible to scale physical parameters in an equation to obtain nondimensional groups (scaling the navier-stokes equation to obtain the Reynolds number, for example).

I Googled 'geometrical length' to try and find out what the OP is talking about.

I came up with this thread as the only reference. :rofl:

The speed of light is 'by definition' 299,792,458 metres per second. So yes, a wavelength is as good a distance measure as nature offers.

1. What is "wavelength as a yardstick"?

"Wavelength as a yardstick" refers to the use of electromagnetic radiation wavelengths as a unit of measurement. It is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to describe the distance between two points on a wave.

2. How is wavelength measured?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm). It can be measured using specialized tools such as spectrometers or by using mathematical equations to calculate it based on the frequency of the wave.

3. Why is wavelength important in science?

Wavelength is important in science because it allows us to understand and describe the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, which is present in many natural phenomena and is used in various technological applications. It also helps us understand the properties of different types of waves, such as light and sound.

4. How does wavelength affect the properties of electromagnetic radiation?

The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation affects its properties in several ways. For example, longer wavelengths tend to have lower frequencies and lower energy, while shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and higher energy. Wavelength also determines the color of visible light and can affect how waves interact with matter.

5. Can wavelength be used to identify different types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, wavelength is one of the key factors used to identify and differentiate between different types of electromagnetic radiation. This is because each type of radiation has a unique wavelength range, which allows scientists to classify and study them separately.