1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength as a yardstick

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    Could electromagnetic wavelength be used as a legitimate distance pattern? I mean is it OK to exchange geometrical length with physical wavelength? For example, given a bundle of light rays following geodesics in empty space, can the length between a given pair of geodesics be equivalent to a wavelength?
    I recall vaguely that the General Conference on Weights and Measures in 1983 adopted as a primary length standard, or reference length, the wavelength of the iodine stabilized HeNe laser,He−Ne = 632.99139822 nm.Thus, in physical metrology seems to be a common practice to use an appropriate wavelength of electromagnetic radiation as the reference length. But I don't know if it is physically straightforward to interchange geometrical lengths with wavelengths as in switching in a given Physics formula the wavelength with an equivalent geometrical length.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

There are devices that count wavelength cycles to determine distance (moved) for very precise measurements.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    I understand wavelengths are interchangeable with lengths in every physical situation.
    Anyone thinks otherwise?

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Lengths are lengths. If doesn't matter what the length measures.

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not clear what you are asking; electromagnetic radiation is used as a *time* standard, not a length standard (frequency vs. wavelength). However, because 'c_0' is a constant, it's possible to think of the meter being standardized in terms of a wavelength as well- as long as you mean wavelength in vacuum, or otherwise correct for the index of refraction.

That said, 'length' is 'length'... I don't understand what you mean by 'geometric' length vs. 'physical' length. Certainly, it's possible to scale physical parameters in an equation to obtain nondimensional groups (scaling the navier-stokes equation to obtain the Reynolds number, for example).

7. Jul 2, 2010 #6
    I Googled 'geometrical length' to try and find out what the OP is talking about.

I came up with this thread as the only reference. :rofl:

8. Jul 2, 2010 #7
    The speed of light is 'by definition' 299,792,458 metres per second. So yes, a wavelength is as good a distance measure as nature offers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook