Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength, Frequency

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1

Air

Hello, I confused as there are 2 very similar equation but I do not know when to use each of them. They are:

[itex]f = \frac{v}{\lambda}[/itex] and [itex]f = \frac{c}{\lambda}[/itex].

What is the difference between [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] and when can the appropriate one be used? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... one is for a particle or wave at any velocity v, while the other is when v=c (i.e. light in vacuum).

Zz.

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3

Air

Also, can [itex]c[/itex] also be used when we are considering other source of waves (e.g. electromagnetic spectrum)?

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When I use the word "light", I do mean the EM wave, not just "visible light".

Zz.

6. Mar 21, 2008 #5

GT1

Why do short wavelengths usually penetrate deeper then long wavelengths ?
    (I know it has more energy, but I'm looking for more detailed explanation after reading the FAQ).

7. Mar 21, 2008 #6
    Said that way it's not true, in general: it depends on material, its surface conditions, and on the range of frequencies; in some cases it could be the opposite.

8. Mar 21, 2008 #7

GT1

So if choose randomly 10000 materials only on 50% of the cases the short wavelengths will penetrate deeper ?

9. Mar 21, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Look at one of the most common material on hand - ordinary, transparent glass that you can buy at a store. It allows for the transmission of almost all visible light spectrum, but it doesn't allow UV to penetrate. And UV has a shorter wavelength than visible light.

Your question can't be answered because almost all materials have a finite bandwidth of absorption and/or transmission. This means that there isn't usually a "trend". While some wavelengths smaller than something may get transmitted, other that are smaller or longer may not.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?